Help with new pump purchase-old superpump dead

moeman

Jul 28, 2011
CT
Hi,

I have a 16x32 in-ground pool: 20k gallons, skimmer and main drain, 1.5 inch black flex pipe and connections, has about 10 right angles in the plumbing, 3/4 Hayward SuperPump-over 15years old.

The pump runs, but will not prime, tried half a dozen times and it has a low volume high pitched swirling sound. it has been acting up lately, especially when trying to use the pool suction vacuum attached to the skimmer. It looses pressure after 5 minutes of cleaning. My last attempt to prime the pump was to use a large shop vac, sucked water from the pump side till water came into the pump basket, turned off the lines to lock in the water, quickly closed the basket lid, opened lines and no still no prime. The skimmer basket is clean, impeller clear.

Funny thing is that i have an old back up pump that someone gave me, attached that and it didn't prime either. Did a little research on that replacement pump, and found out it's for an above ground pool. It doesn't self prime!

So I guess, my trusty and rusty superpump just died on me and i'm racing to find a new pump soon, before my water turns. I've been looking into the 2 speed pumps, to save a little money on electricity. The variable speed pumps seem too pricey, especially since i live in CT and only use the pool for 3-4 months.

Could anyone led me in the right direction?

So far, my research has brought me to the:

Hayward SuperPump SP2607X102S
Pentair SuperFlo SF-N2-3/4A
Whisperflo 3/4hp, 2 speed- has 2 inch connections, is it too powerful for my lines.

Are there anymore that i should consider in that price point? i like to stay under $600, if i can.

Is 3/4hp correct for my size pool?

I'm not a slave to the hayward brand, but from what i've read on this forum, the 2 speed superpump looks like it might be the right fit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
moe

Before ditching the current pump, try and find a suction side leak that may be preventing the pump from priming. Make sure the o-ring on the pump strainer lid is in good condition (fits tight, no tears or gummy feel), lube it well with silicone pool lube and put it back on the pump strainer. Also check that the drain plug is tight. Check the above ground portions of plumbing from the pool skimmer to the pump. Slowly pour water over all the joints while the pump is running and watch for liquid to be sucked into the joints. That would indicate an air leak that could be causing the pump to loose prime. Finally make sure the water level in the pool is at least 1/2 way up the skimmer to prevent air from being sucked into the system.

If you don't find a suction leak, your plan to go with a 3/4 hp 2 speed pump should be just fine.

thanks for all the advice,

I got a temporary replacement superpump motor from a friend, now I have time to shop for a deal on a 2 speed pump. The replacement motor was rebuilt last year. I installed it in the original superpump basket housing. As soon as I turned it on, I knew it was my old motor all along. This thing has a beautiful quiet low hum. I guess my old motor has been on the edge of failing for a while, just kind of ignored it because it worked.

Primed the lines, turned it on, and bam!, it worked! Got all the air out of the system, and it runs like a champ.

I haven't vacuumed yet, so if i lose pressure, I will check the connections for suction lose. My pump/filter is setup in my garage, so i have a good idea where the leak might be, if there is one. I had a slow water leak last year and the pool guy, undid all the suction and return connections that come out of the garage to do a pressure test. He fixed the leak, it was a small pin hole in the connection of one of the return lines, at the pool wall. When i look at the right angle skimmer connection, outside the garage, the black flex pipe isn't pushed all the way on the connector. That might be it, i'll vacuum tomorrow and see how it goes.

I was checking out the hayward site and they don't have any 3/4 hp pumps that are 2 speed. The Superpump, 2 speed, is only available at 1, 1.5, or 2hp. If i go up to a 1hp that might be overkill for my pool and it probably won't save me any money on the electric bill. Is this correct? So, i might have to go with the Whisperflo or Superflo 3/4hp, 2 speed. which is best? effiencey?

thanks,
moe

Update:

thanks zea3 for the info on suction lose on my lines. I did find a suction leak on one of the suction right angle connections and the lid gasket on the pump was a little worn, letting in just the smallest amount of air. I fixed both problems.

No lose of suction when i vacuum and no visible air in the pump basket.

In all, it was a pump that was on it's last leg and the suction lose

Purchased the Superflo 1hp uprated 2 speed and a intermatic 1353me. Can't wait to get it installed!

I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to my questions.

moe

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.