Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 4ppm FC Loss after heavy rain

1. Back To Top    #1

4ppm FC Loss after heavy rain

Just switched to the BBB method from tricolor. For the past week, I've been trying to figure out how much FC my pool loses/day. It looks like it normally is 2ppm/day. However, It's lost 4ppm FC since yesterday. The weather yesterday was cloudy with heavy rain and thunderstorms from yesterday evening through this morning. The rain added about 1.5 inches of water to the pool since yesterday. CC's are still at 0. The FC level is still coming down from shocking that I had to do last week. My question is can heavy rain dilute the water or create a larger FC loss/day than normal? Here's the test results form this morning:

FC-13
    CC-0
    TC-13
    TA - 150
    PH - 7.8 (not accurate because of high FC)
    CYA - 52
    CH - 170
    17,500 gallons, Vinyl, Above ground, Hayward Sand filter, Hayward 1.5hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 4ppm FC Loss after heavy rain

Does rain dilute chemicals in water------------yes
    Can the particulates and dust with the rain raise Fc loss-------------yes
    Does FC loss speed up when at shock levels and coming down-----------------yes
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks!

4. Back To Top    #4

Just to reiterate what woody said, it is perfectly normal for high FC loss when shock levels are coming down. I lost 11 ppms on a sunny day drifting down from shock levels, but then maintained it at a steady 5 for my cya levels by dosing nightly.
    24 x 52 Round AG Outback Empire Pool 13,500 gal.
    1 HP Hayward Power-Flo pump w/Hayward 18" 150lb. sand filter
    TF-100 test kit & SpeedStir
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pepsiholic
    Just to reiterate what woody said, it is perfectly normal for high FC loss when shock levels are coming down. I lost 11 ppms on a sunny day drifting down from shock levels, but then maintained it at a steady 5 for my cya levels by dosing nightly.
    Ok, I was a little surprised since it's been a couple days of 2ppm loss (coming down from shock), then all of the sudden I lost 4ppm. I'm guessing it was from the 1.5 inches of rain water that was added to my pool last night. Thanks for your help!

6. Back To Top    #6

on other hand on rainy day you get less UV so you loss less FC, so it somewhat balances out the organics brought down by rain
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

7. Back To Top    #7

On cloudy days I loose far less chlorine than cloudy and rainy days. There's a plethora of both around here, cloudy days I can skip dosing one whole night and through the whole next cloudy day. Rainy & cloudy days I usually have to dose so the pool can make it through the whole next day.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

8. Back To Top    #8

You guys answered my question. I usually lose 2.5 ppm a day, but suddenly been losing 4 then it went back to 2.5 now at 4 again. We are having a very hot and rainy Monsoon season this year, Guess I have to deal with it.
    Pool size 10,000 AG
    Pebble Tec
    Jandy Cartridge Filter
    Build in 2008
    Waterfall, pop ups