Hayward H250 gas heater help (light on front panel off)

Jul 27, 2011
Hello, I've searched the forums for H250 and read the articles but none cover my issue. Neither did the manual, or searching through google.

Last weekend I was using my pool heater and having no issues. In fact, I've had no issues all summer since I had it opened. Today I went to turn the heater on and it didn't light. I check the panel and its not lit up. No normal, no trouble...the LED is just dark. I opened out the lower front panel, then the top panel to take a look. And all the connections seem good...nothing has been knocked loose (from what I can tell) and no animals chewing through a wire, etc. The pilot light is off. I've been reading there are electrical ignitions to this...I'm not arguing, but I do recall seeing orange flame through the underside and there's definitely no flames anywhere. Absolutely nothing has changed and no one has gone near it. I have been BBQing and using the gas line so the gas pressure hasn't changed. Neither has the pool pump (though it was off for a morning).

I'm a total amateur so I tried opening and closing the gas valve a handful of times, checked my breakers (nothing tripped), plugged and unplugged some wires inside the unit, turned the external switch on and off a whack of times (both with gas valve open/closed, and with the temperature gage at various points), turned the pressure switch on and off, pressed it in (imagine this is an igniter?). Nothing is making that light even come on.

So I'm totally lost. People are skipping straight to bypassing wiring and replacing parts of the unit, but nobody answers the most basic question "Why is the light off?" How do I get the unit to even start basic function so I can commence some troubleshooting steps? Please give me even the slightest clue what to check and where to start here. It's a minimum of $130/h to get it serviced and I can't afford this. I also have a pile of family coming up from all over the place this weekend and I promised them a nice and warm pool. I'm happy to take any pictures that will help people know what I'm looking at. Thanks in advance for any help.

I can't explain it, but after a few hours the light has randomly gone back on. And it works perfectly well now. I'd still appreciate if anyone could tell me why this would have happened, or if there was something I randomly did that actually helped (or hurt). Thanks.

I wish that were the case. I have been out cleaning the pool this morning and threw the gas heater on. It was working fine but I realized about an hour later that there was no heat exhausting from the unit. The light is off again. Not yellow, not orange, not anything. Just off. Tried turning the unit off and then back on and nothing. Turned the heat down (to off) and then back up to full...still nothing. So I'm back to square one. I imagine it may randomly start working again at some point since it did this last night, but its definitely on the fritz.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.