Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How Red is Red?

1. Back To Top    #1

How Red is Red?

TF-100 Test kit came today. Only real question is reading the TA. Is it considered red when the water turns pink/deep pink? numbers:
    12:30pm . . . .7:45pm
    FC=18.5 . . . . FC=13
    CC=3.5 . . . . .CC= XX
    TC=22.0 . . . .TC= XX
    pH=7.5 . . . . .pH=7.2
    TA=130 . . . . TA=140
    CYA=25 . . . . CYA=30
    Stabilizer dissolving in sock put in 7/24 when CYA was 0 according to pool store guy. I'm afraid I'm being too exact as to what is "red", in which case my TAs are actually lower. Thanks
    24' Round,Vinyl, 13500 gal AG/Haywood 200S Filter/not sure of size or flow rate/TF100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How Red is Red?

Once the water turns pink, add another drop, if the water color gets more pink, then count the drop, if the color does not change, then don't count the drop.

3. Back To Top    #3

It's not really red, it's more of a Barbie pink
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Wasn't a Barbie kinda gal growing up, but my daughter was and Barbie Pink explains the color perfectly!! I think I went a little beyond, now I feel better that TA isn't really that high. Thanks. This is like doing lab work at the animal hospital I work at, which I rather enjoy. Maybe I'm not such a reluctant chemist?
    24' Round,Vinyl, 13500 gal AG/Haywood 200S Filter/not sure of size or flow rate/TF100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

What JamesW said.
    It doesn't really matter what shade of red it is. The endpoint is when you're adding drops and the color changes, keep adding drops until you add a drop that doesn't change the color and don't count that last drop.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Advice taken this morning, TA was 110. Rest of numbers...FC=10, CC=2, TC=12, pH=7.2, CYA=30. FC dropped 3 overnight and water still cloudy, so am continuing to add chlorine and nag hubby to brush & vacumn. I must say, I feel I could become addicted to testing

7. Back To Top    #7

I'd even bump the FC up to about 13 or so each time, given you lost 3 ppm overnight. Keep at it and you'll get there soon.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Per Pool Calculator, did add chlorine for a FC target of 13. Will attempt to maintain it there. Thank, lfk