Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rebuilt gate valve no air in skimmer basket! Yeah!

1. Back To Top    #1
    Lakeland, FL

Rebuilt gate valve no air in skimmer basket! Yeah!

Hello All,
    Yesterday I rebuilt my 1.5 inch brass gate valve. I knew the air was getting in the valve stem (sprayed water on it and the bubbles would go away.) Tip learned here!

So anyways it was a little issue that was bugging me. I took of the handle, unscrewed the packing nut, and the bonnet and removed the stem. Cleaned the stem with a wire brush, then applied liberal amounts of silicone plumbers grease to the stem and the threads that the gate screws into, packing gland and all the threads.

Put it back together, tightened things down and no more air bubbles in my skimmer basket. It took about 20 minutes max. Hardest part was getting the handle off and getting tools together to do it.

Valve looks like this:

Should be good for 10 more years!
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Rebuilt gate valve no air in skimmer basket! Yeah!

Those valves will last a long time with the use they get.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit