am i infested?

Everyday i have to clean the pool and get rid of all these bugs:
DSC05345-1.jpg

DSC05344-1.jpg

I also have i think sand at the bottom of the pool that i can't seem to get rid of....
DSC05346-1.jpg

DSC05347.jpg

Is this normal? if i hit it with the pole / foot, it dusts up and disappears. I'm guessing it's sand.

I do have a sand filter. I'm guessing it needs some TLC?

My neighbour has a large maple tree that very close to my pool.

What do you guys think?

Fc 3
Ph 7.7
Ta 170
Cya 25 ish... I had to fill the entire Taylor test tube to not see the black dot.
Pool temp average 28
Ch 130
tested on Sat

I just tested last night for FC.. it was 3.0 last night and this morning was 2.5
ph was 7.8 - 7.9

the brown stuff that's on the seams feels gritty/slimy.. i'll have another feel tonight.

I just moved into the house last weekend, so i'm not sure when or if the filter on the sand filter has been changed.

Do you have a working skimmer? If so, do you see surface debris flowing into it?

I can't really help on the bugs, we're relatively bug free here and most of the ones that do land in the pool go right into the skimmer. But I see a lot of grass in your images and wanted to suggest placing a foot bath at the ladder and instruct swimmers to rinse their feet before climbing into the pool. At least part of your debris problem will be solved this way.

If you have kids with broken listeners who routinely step over the foot bath, let me know. I've employed a dictatorship footbath solution that solved the broken listener problem around our pool. This whole season I've only seen two blades of grass in the skimmer and I think it was a "friend" who bothered to overstep. My kids know mom expects a grass free pool by now. :~}

If you have a 2005, all you'll have is the Chlorine/pH block test thingy where you match colors.

The 2006 you add R-0870 powder to your pool water, then add drops of R-0871 until the water is clear. Then you add 5 drops R-0003, then add R-0871 again until clear. If this is the kit you have, I will point you in the right direction for the detailed information.

If you still believe you have a 2005, here's how:
Add water to the chlorine side of the block, make water or bottom of water miniscus even with line near the top of the block.
Add 5 drops R-0001 and agitate
Add 5 drops R-0002 and agitate
Match color of solution to the scale. This is your free chlorine (FC)
Add 5 drops R-0003 and agitate
Match color to scale, this is your total chlorine (TC)
Subtract FC from TC to get CC (TC-FC=CC)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I believe the Taylor 2005 is a DPD test. That kit can only test up to 5 ppm (without dilution). You will really benefit for a FAS-DPD kit, especially when having problems. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

CC= TC-FC (but only applicable below 5 ppm for the dpd test you have).

Since you are below 5 you can run a OCLT :http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/overnight_fc_test

edit: just saw RobbieH's post, some repeat info here, and since it sounds like you have a FAS-DPD test, doing an OCLT should be easy.

cybernation said:
hmm i have to figure out how to do CC vs FC with this taylor 2005 test kit....

i added the power, then added r0003 i believe... and i thought that was FC..

If you have powder, it's a K-2006. Robbie just posted how to use a K-2005 to get CC but I believe you have a K-2006 because you mention powder.

Fill the sample to 10ml.

Add 1heaping or two scoops of the R-0870 DPD powder (it only needs to turn pink, if one scoop does it then don't bother with the second scoop). Swirl.

Then use R-0871 reagent by drop and count till it turns clear. For the 10ml sample, each drop equals .5ppm. This result is your Free Chlorine (FC)

THEN... add 5 drops of R-0003. If the solution turns pink again, you have combined chlorine.

Then add R-0871 drop by drop. Again, each drop equals .5ppm. Count these drops till the solution turns clear again. Add the number of drops added here to the number of drops you used before adding R-0003 and total. This is your Total Chlorine (TC).

Then compute: TC - FC = CC (combined chlorine).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.