Just started conversion from Baquacil to Chlorine to SWG

Fireflies

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 27, 2011
Port Byron, IL
Day 1
Just started conversion last night, added about 6 gallons of bleach to pool; generated interesting clouds of mustard-yellow WOW!!!! Believe all I need to do at this time is to keep adding bleach to keep FC at 15ppm. Have purchased Taylor K-2006 test kit and tested for first time this morning. Only added 1 drop of R-0871 FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent to 10ml sample to get color change from pink to clear. I interpret that ppm FC level = 0.5ppm, is that correct? If I had to add 2 drops FC level would = 1ppm? So fo getting a reading of 15 ppm FC one would have to add 30 drops to 10ml sample? Did use Jason's pool calculator to come up with about 6 gallons of bleach to get to 15ppm FC. Also added another 6 gallons of bleach this morning and am off to store to buy more... :wave: Photos from this morning below!

Many thanks for any help - Barb

Attachments

• IMG_0411.JPG
    IMG_0411.JPG
    469.8 KB · Views: 199
Thanks RobbieH!

Believe I want high FC during conversion from Baquacil to chlorine. But will try adding 2 scoops next time. Just real new to all this and very thankful to TFP and all the great members for the helpful posts. Am sure I will post many more questions during this conversion....

First 24 hrs of pool conversion under my belt! Have added 14 bottles (182 oz each) since start last night. Have another 31 bottles ready to go. Seems to be working, had funky orange stuff floating on top of my green, gray pool water this afternoon. Old socks I put over skimmer baskets were also full of orange stuff. Just need patience now... :roll:

Morning of Day 3 and things are looking up. :-D Had overcast day yesterday (Day 2), added 4 (182oz) bottles bleach early am, added another 4 bottles at 3 pm and 9 pm. Pics to follow.
Took day off from work since it is my b-day and husband is off also. Will spend day vacuuming and adding bleach! Have great hopes of major progress today.
Should I run a full test? Am just testing FC at this time.

Attachments

• IMG_0414.JPG
    IMG_0414.JPG
    381.9 KB · Views: 159
Day 3 Test Results:
FC = 12ppm
CC = 4.5 ppm
PH = 7.8
Didn't run complete test, thought that was premature.
What's next step?
Check pool calculator and add enough bleach to get to 15ppm?
Should I worry about other tests?
Husband cleaned filter last night!!!! YEAH! Look at all that yuck he cleaned out.

Thanks for all your replies!

Attachments

• IMG_0423.jpg
    IMG_0423.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 152

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Morning of Day 5 of conversion:
Pool has been vacuumed and filter cleaned.
Test results from this morning.
FC = 9
CC = 2
PH = 7.5
TA = 260
CH = 390
CYA = 0

Should I add baking soda now or wait until conversion completed? When do I add cya?
Added another jug (182 oz) bleach.

Thanks for all your help - Barb

Dave,

Thanks for reminder... Read article again!
Should I have waited with cleaning filter? Well to late now. Believe it has helped since it helps with pressure.
Guess I'll keep adding bleach until we pass OCLT and 0.5ppm or less CC for 2 days.

Thanks

Guess I'll keep adding bleach until we pass
Yes sir!! Keep it a shock value.

Don't worry about the filter for now. It can be corrected later if you have some residual stuff in there. It will manifest itself by your inability to pass the OCLT.

Once your water gets crystal clear (How does it look?), you should be able to get passed the OCLT a day or so after that.

Lingering chlorine consumption for more than a couple of days might indicate the need to re-clean the filter. Cross that bridge when you come to it.

Thanks so much for quick reply, Dave.

Water looks pretty clear, pics below. However there are stains on vinyl liner, believe this is residue from major algae attacks during baquacil use. Will have to deal with those once conversion is completed and SWG installed.
Plan on testing water later on tonight for FC. Then add bleach to boost to 15 ppm and test again tomorrow morning. Pool does get direct sun from 11 AM to sunset.

Cheers - Barb

Attachments

• IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0430.jpg
    IMG_0430.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 109
Sorry haven't kept up with posting our progress so this will be a bit longer...
Yesterday (Day 6) morning 7 AM we successfully passed stage 1 of OCLT, lost only 1 ppm of FC
FC = 14
CC = 1.5
TA = 275
CH = 400

no ph test done due to high FC and no CYA test since I had no added any CYA ever.
Read pool school again and decided it was time to add CYA, added whole container, 4 lb. of Walmart brand through skimmers as directed on container, I know should have done the sock thing! According to pool calculator this was correct amount to bring CYA up to 30. Have not backwashed since I added CYA, container stated to wait 48 hrs.

Tested water again at 10 PM last night, no FC - added 3 bottles (182 oz) of Walmart brand bleach to raise FC back to 15.

Test result this morning 7 AM (Day 7 of conversion)
FC = 15
CC = 1
TA = 225
CH = 300
CYA - black dot never disappeared :( , has only been 24 hrs since I added CYA.
no ph test, FC to high hope to be able to test sometime this afternoon when FC lower. Should have tested last night when no FC.

I know CC needs to be 0.5 for 2 days before we pass OCLT.

Should I worry about high TA at this point? We want to install SWG as soon as possible, already have SWG. Should we adjust levels to SWG goals before we add salt?

Water looks very pretty, never looked so clean and clear!!!!! But we have gray stains on liner, and some orange-brown stains in deep end. Hope this is residue from algae problems when using baquacil.

Do I keep FC at shock level until we pass OCLT? What after we pass?

Thank you all for your help! This forum is awesome, would have never gotten to this point without the help of you folks.

Cheers - Barb C

Congrats on your conversion! Sounds like your enjoying some clear water :)

Yes, Keep your fc level up until you pass the oclt. Then you can let the level fall to what your range levels should be for your pool cya. Anything under shock level is safe for swimming once you've passed the oclt.

Cya can take up to a week to show up on your test. I try not to backwash for a week after adding any cya so none takes a chance of getting washed out. You may find you have to backwash before that if you still have any remaining stuff being caught up in your filter.

Looks like your ph is low and your ta is high....
If you're using an swg it will tend to raise your ph over time, which you will then want to lower again to bring your ta down until you reach the desired level. You can also aerate your pool to help bring the ph up faster.

I would go ahead and set up the swg and work the ta down over time. Once people are in splashing and the swg is up and running it will slowly work it's way to the range you're looking for.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.