Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using SWG to shock the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Las Vegas, NV

Using SWG to shock the pool

Quick question here: The pool has a 2hp pump, and a 420 sq ft cartridge filter (I'm pretty sure Dad, who bought the setup a few years back, got heavily pool stored here). Although I don't have a flow meter installed, the filter indicates that it can turn over 50k gallons in 6 hours. Since the pool is only 33k, and the pump is running 24/7, it seems that I'm turning over the water multiple times per day. If I run the SWG at a higher %, will that give me any kind of substantial boost to the FC levels?
    33k in-ground plaster pool and spa / Goldline T-15 SWG w/ Aqualogic controller / RS2000 Hayward pump / Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 sq. ft. cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Using SWG to shock the pool

It will raise the FC higher the longer you run it and/or the higher you set the percentage, but it won't effectively "shock" the pool. It will however, help if you're in the midst of shocking the pool. Keep in mind that shock is a process.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit