Recommend me an automatic cleaner

Jul 25, 2011
I have a vinyl liner, rectangular, 26,000 gallon pool. I would like an automatic cleaner. My biggest priorites are the following order.

1. Lightweight. Preferably something under 10 lbs. If I dump it in the water before work, I would want it light enough so my daughter could pull it out on her own if she wanted to swim.

2. Reliable. Speaks for itself.

3. Price.

Speed is not a big issue for me. I am more concerned about the above three. I do have a very strong pump. In fact my jets are so strong on the side of the pool you can barely sit in front of them.

4 wheel suction side Poolvergnuegen (The Pool Cleaner) if you want it to remove the fine particles from the pool, pressure side if getting leaves and such is more important and you don't care so much about fine particles (letting the pool's filter alone handle them).

Racestud said:
I have a vinyl liner, rectangular, 26,000 gallon pool. I would like an automatic cleaner. My biggest priorites are the following order.

1. Lightweight. Preferably something under 10 lbs. If I dump it in the water before work, I would want it light enough so my daughter could pull it out on her own if she wanted to swim.

2. Reliable. Speaks for itself.

3. Price.

Speed is not a big issue for me. I am more concerned about the above three. I do have a very strong pump. In fact my jets are so strong on the side of the pool you can barely sit in front of them.

i believe the suction and pressure cleaners you can just leave in the pool, the robots you can too as long as you are smart enough not to strangle yourself with the cord.

robots aren't that light unless you go with the chinese smartpool ones, even then, water is water and it has weight. if its properly taken out, it won't be that heavy. but none of them are overly reliable and if you pull it out of the water while its running, you will burn it up.

you didn't say how old your daughter is, that would make a difference.

I have an Aquabot Supreme - robot - and it's light enough for my 13 yr old to take out. She needs to be told to NOT pull it by its cord, however! I've have pressure side cleaners before (without booster pump) and too many problems. So far the Aquabot is working just fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Racestud said:
thanks for input guys. My daughter is 8. I think I have narrowed it down between a couple of the Kreepy models the Great White and Kruiser. I like the price and have good reviews at Amazon. Which one would you recommend. I started a topic here.

kreepy-krauly-great-white-or-kreepy-krauly-kruiser-t36903.html

Is weight really an issue as surely the adult supervising your eight year old could extract a robot for her. I have had great results from Dolphin Dynamics over the years. My new one has three rollers so never gets stuck on the sump covers, or anywhere for that matter.

Ian

I just purchased a 9300 sport and was totally pumped. This was my first robotic cleaner, having gone thru several booster pump cleaners over the last 30+ years. The 9300 started out like a champ and was cleaning great, when it stopped in the middle of the 1.5 hour cleaning cycle. Unable to get it restarted, I called Polaris for help and was told it was a bad power supply, which was on back order. Turns out there are about 7-10 people ahead of me waiting for this same part as it has become a common problem on the 9300. Anyone else had these power supply failures?

Hmm, at this point, will they take it back? Hard to feel good about something crapping out on it's initial fun. FWIW, I've given up on Polaris; had 2. My pool is about the same size as yours, and my aquabot is fine. Why did you go with something no one recommended on your thread, nor did you ask for recommendations? Not trying to beat you up on this, :hammer: , but I do the same thing!!

Look at the MX-8 it is a nice cleaner with good reviews. It is a suction side cleaner, priced at about $400.
As long as you don't have Maple or other big leaves to clean, the MX-8 does a great job.
We've had ours 3 or 4 months and are very satisfied.
Best of luck,
John

Do you have a booster pump or a suction port on your pool?
If you have either of these, you may want to consider using a cleaner that takes advantage of them.
Besides, without a booster pump, there aren't that many pressure side cleaners available to you.

What kind of debris do you normally get in the pool? Small stuff like sand and silt or mostly larger stuff like leaves and twigs? What you need to pick up can factor into your descion.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.