Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me an automatic cleaner

1. Back To Top    #1

Recommend me an automatic cleaner

I have a vinyl liner, rectangular, 26,000 gallon pool. I would like an automatic cleaner. My biggest priorites are the following order.

1. Lightweight. Preferably something under 10 lbs. If I dump it in the water before work, I would want it light enough so my daughter could pull it out on her own if she wanted to swim.

2. Reliable. Speaks for itself.

3. Price.

Speed is not a big issue for me. I am more concerned about the above three. I do have a very strong pump. In fact my jets are so strong on the side of the pool you can barely sit in front of them.
    26,500 Gal, Vinyl, Sand Filter, Haywood SWG, Automatic Cover, OHIO

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Recommend me an automatic cleaner

4 wheel suction side Poolvergnuegen (The Pool Cleaner) if you want it to remove the fine particles from the pool, pressure side if getting leaves and such is more important and you don't care so much about fine particles (letting the pool's filter alone handle them).
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Is your pool rectangular with 90 degree floor to wall or sloped in some fashion?
    Newbie in Hampton, Virginia
    TF-100 test kit
    18' round x52" /Sharkline Heritage /8000 gal /vinyl AGP
    Intex 2650 GPH, 1 HP, sand filter and SWG combo
    Solar cover

4. Back To Top    #4

Both. 90 degree in shallow end. Diagonally sloped in deep end.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Racestud
    I have a vinyl liner, rectangular, 26,000 gallon pool. I would like an automatic cleaner. My biggest priorites are the following order.

1. Lightweight. Preferably something under 10 lbs. If I dump it in the water before work, I would want it light enough so my daughter could pull it out on her own if she wanted to swim.

2. Reliable. Speaks for itself.

3. Price.

Speed is not a big issue for me. I am more concerned about the above three. I do have a very strong pump. In fact my jets are so strong on the side of the pool you can barely sit in front of them.
    i believe the suction and pressure cleaners you can just leave in the pool, the robots you can too as long as you are smart enough not to strangle yourself with the cord.

robots aren't that light unless you go with the chinese smartpool ones, even then, water is water and it has weight. if its properly taken out, it won't be that heavy. but none of them are overly reliable and if you pull it out of the water while its running, you will burn it up.

you didn't say how old your daughter is, that would make a difference.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

I love my kreepy Kruiser. You can find it for 260 shipping if you don't mind the wait. 50 mail in rebate too.
    TF-100 test kit
    Solar cover

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a robot, but it's because my pool is so big it's a requirement. I recommend not going robot unless you just have to.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

I have an Aquabot Supreme - robot - and it's light enough for my 13 yr old to take out. She needs to be told to NOT pull it by its cord, however! I've have pressure side cleaners before (without booster pump) and too many problems. So far the Aquabot is working just fine.
    CaryB
    36 x 18 IG vinyl, 25K, 1 HP pump, sand filter
    1 skimmer, 2 returns, no main drain
    Old school: PoolSolutions test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Aquabot.......
    Julie
    I have a small (3,750 gallon) in-ground, Viking pool - 2hp Jandy pump, AquaPure 700 Cholorinator, Jandy Aqualink, and Jandy CJ250 filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Don't forget the PoolSkim
    Not a floor cleaner but a surface "skimmer-like" cleaner that gets stuff BEFORE it gets to the floor
    A godsend!
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.

11. Back To Top    #11

thanks for input guys. My daughter is 8. I think I have narrowed it down between a couple of the Kreepy models the Great White and Kruiser. I like the price and have good reviews at Amazon. Which one would you recommend. I started a topic here.

kreepy-krauly-great-white-or-kreepy-krauly-kruiser-t36903.html

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Racestud
    thanks for input guys. My daughter is 8. I think I have narrowed it down between a couple of the Kreepy models the Great White and Kruiser. I like the price and have good reviews at Amazon. Which one would you recommend. I started a topic here.

kreepy-krauly-great-white-or-kreepy-krauly-kruiser-t36903.html

Is weight really an issue as surely the adult supervising your eight year old could extract a robot for her. I have had great results from Dolphin Dynamics over the years. My new one has three rollers so never gets stuck on the sump covers, or anywhere for that matter.

Ian
    27,000 gal liner pool. Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter, Dolphin Dynamic robot cleaner, Dolphin Supreme M4 pool cleaner, Aquatemp FT40Kst 3 phase Heatpump, Pentair IntelliFlo VF 3.2KW pump, Aquamatic Hydromatic safety pool cover, Autopilot Pool Pilot Digital SC-60 salt water generator. 2 Inch piping throughout.

13. Back To Top    #13

I just purchased a 9300 sport and was totally pumped. This was my first robotic cleaner, having gone thru several booster pump cleaners over the last 30+ years. The 9300 started out like a champ and was cleaning great, when it stopped in the middle of the 1.5 hour cleaning cycle. Unable to get it restarted, I called Polaris for help and was told it was a bad power supply, which was on back order. Turns out there are about 7-10 people ahead of me waiting for this same part as it has become a common problem on the 9300. Anyone else had these power supply failures?

14. Back To Top    #14

Hmm, at this point, will they take it back? Hard to feel good about something crapping out on it's initial fun. FWIW, I've given up on Polaris; had 2. My pool is about the same size as yours, and my aquabot is fine. Why did you go with something no one recommended on your thread, nor did you ask for recommendations? Not trying to beat you up on this, , but I do the same thing!!
    CaryB
    36 x 18 IG vinyl, 25K, 1 HP pump, sand filter
    1 skimmer, 2 returns, no main drain
    Old school: PoolSolutions test kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Look at the MX-8 it is a nice cleaner with good reviews. It is a suction side cleaner, priced at about $400.
    As long as you don't have Maple or other big leaves to clean, the MX-8 does a great job.
    We've had ours 3 or 4 months and are very satisfied.
    Best of luck,
    John
    "Experience is what you get, just after you needed it."

Owner DIY build, steel/liner kit, 18x36 Deer Creek, sport depth, approx 17,500 gal,
    Aqua Plus SWG, 1 1/2 hp, 2 speed, 300# sand filter and twin Color logic 4.0s, MX-8 Cleaner.
    My DIY Pool Build

16. Back To Top    #16

don't you just leave suction cleaners in all the time? how would an 8 year old pull out a suction cleaner? you'd have to disconnect it or the pump would be sucking air.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

17. Back To Top    #17

Why would it suck air? The suction sides run off the skimmer
    TF-100 test kit
    Solar cover

18. Back To Top    #18

Do you have a booster pump or a suction port on your pool?
    If you have either of these, you may want to consider using a cleaner that takes advantage of them.
    Besides, without a booster pump, there aren't that many pressure side cleaners available to you.

What kind of debris do you normally get in the pool? Small stuff like sand and silt or mostly larger stuff like leaves and twigs? What you need to pick up can factor into your descion.
    19,600 gal, Vinyl, Grecian L, StaRite Dura-Glas 1 HP pump, 3/4hp booster, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge filter
    The Pool Cleaner 4x, PoolSkim

19. Back To Top    #19

I've got a a smartkleen nitro. I'm happy with it.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by AGT
    Why would it suck air? The suction sides run off the skimmer
    yea, if you take it out, the pump would be sucking in air once its out of the water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast