CH at 400, no FC & SWG on for 5 days - Oh My!

maggiem

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 15, 2008
I hope I am overreacting but we just can't get a handle on the water and while it is nice and clear, I fear trouble is looming. We have black little streaks and what looks like black pits as well as some sandy looking stuff that may be algae. Today I see a few little brown/rusty spotting but that could be from the field mice pooping as they tried to escape my money pit - 3 of them were floating today.

Here are my results with the TF100 SWG was fixed on Friday and should now be generating, set at 75% right now. (Used the durachlor pucks for the last 2 weeks and had 2 more in over the weekend)

FC: .05
CC: .05
TC: 1
pH: 7.5
T/A: 140
CH: 400 or 420 - WTH is this all about? The reagent R0011L is a bit gloopy and when the water finally turns blue, it's like suspended blue streaks as opposed to a fully colored blue..
CYA: 45-50
Temp: 81
Salt: 4100 per Aqualogic and 3530 per the strips

After hubby found the mice and freaked a bit, we dumped in 1.5 gal of bleach. The results for FC/CC/TC are 1.5 hours after bleach dumping

I am at a total loss now - At this point in time, I am ready to fill in my now 31 day old pool - I hate it quite honestly and should have bought a big RV instead.

Your SWCG isn't going to be able to take your pool from .5 FC to full chlorine. You need to add at least 2 gallons of Clorox to get your pool up to the 7 range. Your CYA is also low for a SWCG pool. I would add 2 gallons of bleach after the sun goes down, turn off the SWCG, and do an OCLT. That way you'll know if the reason you are losing chlorine is because you need to shock or if it is OK.

Can you post pics?

First, things will get better don't get too down about it. Once you get used to maintaining it, it'll get much easier and more enjoyable.

A couple of things pop out at me.
One is I'm sure you meant for FC & CC to be .5 not .05. Minor issue.
You need to run the OCLT (link's in my sig) to see if you need to shock. My gut feeling is that you do.

The CH test is a bear without the speedstir (or other magnetic stirrer). You really have to swirl the sample 20 to 30 seconds between drops if you do it right.

Your CYA is a little low for a swg but don't raise it until you find out if you need to shock.

We'll get you through this. Don't give up yet. And if you think a pool is a lot of work and expense, don't get an RV. Ask me how I know! I have both, and a boat! :mrgreen:

Thanks for your quick replies! Yes, I meant .5 not .05. I'll go see if I can take some pics to show the black/rusty stuff. I'm trying not to get down about it and I hate to be a PITA on TFP as well. I kept our large intex AGP sparkly for 3 seasons with BBB so this new pool has thrown me for a loop!

Dave, we have a nice large Coleman pop up and 2 canoes that are perfect for our camping trips but I've always wanted a larger RV or bus. I guess that's another forum entirely ;-) I won't even get into hubby's Harley money pit. HD= hundreds of dollars every time :roll: LOL

I have an offroad-only Jeep. Just Empty Every Pocket.

Another idea that crossed my mind, can you put a trichlor tablet on the black streaks? If they are on the side, glove your hand and try scrubbing the streaks with the tablet and see if that removes the stain. If so, it's almost positively organic.

I can't get a good pic because it's a bit windy today and lots of ripples on the water. However, I took the chlorine tab and rubbed on the black dots/streaks and they did not disappear.

The rusty brown colored splotches did disappear and I did try to brush them away again just to double ensure they are not leaf litter or somesuch.

So tonight I will do the OCLT and see what we come up with. Will report that tomorrow.

P.S. The plaster does have lots of little blue specs starting to show up as well - is this just something that the white marcite does?

Thanks again - I feel like such a whiner here so appreciate your patience and answers :)

Update:

Last night when the sun set, I tested the water FC=.5 and CC=0 so TC=.5

I decided to dump 1.5 gallons of bleach into the pool for the OCLT. I spent about 1 hour stirring the water and moving it to and fro. I tested 2 hours later and had FC 6.5 CC .5 for TC of 7

The PB has the filter/pump/SWG off from 8pm to 8am so I am not sure this was/is an issue.

Bright and early at 5:53 am I went out to test again before the sunshine on the pool and before all equip. went on
FC 1.5
CC .5
TC 2

Now at 10:30am with all equip. on I get

FC 2
CC .5
TC 2.5
pH 7.8
T/A 150 (too high?)
CH 330
CYA 45-ish
Temp 82F

I have attached pics of the CH test - is this the red and blue?

I think the real test will be later this afternoon if the FC/TC falls again right? Also, here is a pic of the stuff on the bottom. I think it may be CYA that PB dumped in but when swept, it breaks up into a bit of black-ish powdery stuff.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Attachments

• CHred.jpg
    CHred.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 83
  • CHblue.jpg
    CHblue.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 83
  • bottom28July.jpg
    bottom28July.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 83
The pump being off did affect the test.
You need the swg off and the pump on an hour after the last addition of chems and an hour before testing for FC/CC. The next morning you need the pump running for 30 minutes before you run the tests.

The specific reds and blues are not important. When you start adding drops you wait for it to start changing and keep adding drops till another drop doesn't change the color then don't count the drop that didn't make a change.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Dave! The OCLT did not note the pump had to be running for the times you mentioned. I'd guess that most ppl run their pumps overnight so being that specific didn't matter. I should have figured this out, sorry!

So added another 1.5 gal of bleach and redid the test last night/this am with pump running, SWG off for the recommended times. Here are the results:

Last Night This morning 6:45am This morning 10:00 am (SWG on for 3 hours)
FC 12.5 8.5 11 (?)
CC .5 0 0
TC 13 8.5 11
pH 7.8 8.2 8.2 (will add acid to lower)
T/A 150 150 150
CH 330 340 340
CYA 50 50 50

The funky stuff on the bottom has really been cut by almost 3/4 of what it was and this am there was just a bit. I would guess this is some sort of algae and we should shock more?

I think by now the CYA level is static and I'm thinking about adding 2lbs more to bring it to 75 - am I correct?

Thanks again!

P.S. Dave, if you ever want to sell that RV...I have a new pool to barter with ;)

Keep shocking. You're making progress.
I wouldn't add any more CYA until you're finished shocking.
When shocking you should be running your pump 24 hours a day so it's not mentioned.

You can run the OCLT again tonight or you can just test and add to keep it at shock level and then run it another night. That way you can leave your swcg on so it can help keep the FC up.

Also, with a CYA of 50 your shock level is 20 so you're not shocking at 12. Even if you used the numbers from the Pool Calc it's 16. You need to keep it at 16 or above (I'd shoot for 20) all the time or stuff can keep growing.

Are we there yet? Re: CH at 400, no FC & SWG on for 5 days

Are we there yet, huh huh are we there yet huh?!? :lol: What a weekend! I had thought the pool was clear but now it is dazzling! So over the weekend we have come up with:

Friday - added 1 gal
Aftersunset
FC 20.5
CC .5
TC 21

Saturday
Morning
FC 15.5
CC .5
TC 16

Added 1 gal or so bleach

After Sunset
FC 18
CC .5
TC 18.5

Sunday
Morning
FC 18
CC .5
TC 18.5

After Sunset
FC 18
CC .5
TC 18.5

Monday
Morning
FC 21.5
CC 0
TC 21.5

We topped up the pool yesterday late afternoon and the city water tests out at .5ppm I think that may be high but that's what the DPD shows. Is it possible that we gained that much FC overnight from topping up? The Taylor FC & pH kit shows orange now for chlorine

At this time the SWG is set to 20% and all seems well. No more sandy algae stuff though there was some brownish stuff on the bottom this morning - about 1/16th of what it was. We actually think this might be sand because it was very windy over the weekend. No sign of the "algae" on the skimmer tile area or in the corners and crannys of the stairs/bench - this is why we think this is sand now.

I think I may just keep my pool thanks to TFP! I love you all!

P.S. Anything we can do to bring the FC down to a swim-able level now ? LOL

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.