Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time home buyer, pool help needed

1. Back To Top    #1

First time home buyer, pool help needed

I bought a house last week, I am a first time home buyer, and I am having tough time figuring out how these things work.

I see some stains at the surface of the pool, I don't know how to get rid of it, I tried using a brush, but without any success, I am attaching pictures.

Please help
    Attached Images Attached Images
    11000 Gallons, Cartridge Filter, UG, Plaster, Shasta pool, filter model Hayward C4030, Pump Motor Emerson 1-1/2HP Full Rated EB2977T, Pump model Northstar SP4010NS

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: First time home buyer, pool help needed

Give us a little more info. What type pool is it? How do you chlorinate? Etc?
    Also, Post a set of test results and how you got them.
    What do the stains look like? (Raised, level, hard, smooth, etc.)
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: First time home buyer, pool help needed

That's Calcium scale. You're not alone. There are more pictures, including some of mine, here: help-with-two-different-plaster-issues-stains-t36205.html

I keep my pH below 7.6 all the time, and TA about 50-60, which with my CH, keeps the Calcium Saturation Index in the negatives. I've dissolved most of the scale from the spa and the steps so far, as they're easiest to brush. The rest is about 50% gone. Another year and it should be clear.

Unless it's rough and scrapes skin off, it's just unsightly. If you want to be rid of it fast, hire a pool company to drain the pool then acid wash or sandblast.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!