My Newfie Golden Mix climbed up ladder to save my wife!

Feb 2, 2008
Northwest Indiana
Great story for dog lovers. My Newfie Golden Mix Wrigley climbed up the ladder and jumped into the pool yesterday to save my wife who screamed when she fell off her raft as she was trying to get on.

Newfoundland dogs were bread as fishing companions to fishermen off the Newfoundland coast. They were trained to dive into the water and retrieve nets that were snagged, equipment that had gone overboard, and also to retrieve fishermen who had fallen out of boats. They have an instinctual reflex to jump in and actually use their paws to pull people to shore.

Wrigley has done this to me several times when I have been swimming in a lake with her and I go out to far. She swims out and puts a big front paw over my shoulder and around my neck to guide me back to short.

Yesterday, there was nothing wrong...but the gate was open on the ladder, My wife was getting onto her raft for a little float time. She lost her balance and went off backwards...but before she did she let out a scream...Wrigley scampered up the ladder and jumped right into the pool after her. She put a paw around her shoulder and even though my wife was now standing on the bottom of the pool Wrigley tried to push her toward the ladder to safety.

I have had my pool for four years and never has she ever shown any interest in getting in, even though she loves the water. She was so proud of herself that once she realized my wife was safe she stayed in and played for a while.

I don't want her to make this a habit as she weighs almost 100 lbs...but it is nice to know that she is there, ever vigilant, watching over my family when I am not there to do so myself. She is a gentle giant and loves my family to death. If I can only get her to stop digging my socks out of the hamper after work she'd be the perfect dog! :goodjob:

Thats awesome! I love dogs. I think we were meant to have them. We have 3 and they are like our kids. I cook for them occasionally and one is small enough to sleep on the bed with us.

cubbybeave08 said:
Coastal Carolina said:
Awwwwww! That is the sweetest thing ever! Gotta love our furry friends! :-D

She couldn't wait to show me how proud she was of herself. We kind of trained her to look out for the kids when she was a pup...but I never expected this. :party:

I think the dog deserves a picture here!

We have Shelties, and the male believes he's a rescue dog. He becomes agitated when someone is splashing in the pool, and if there are young children near the edge he will attempt to pull them out by very gently biting their life jacket. He's not quite enough dog to do much lifting (35lbs), but he sure wants them out of the water.

JohnT said:
cubbybeave08 said:
Coastal Carolina said:
Awwwwww! That is the sweetest thing ever! Gotta love our furry friends! :-D

She couldn't wait to show me how proud she was of herself. We kind of trained her to look out for the kids when she was a pup...but I never expected this. :party:

I think the dog deserves a picture here!

We have Shelties, and the male believes he's a rescue dog. He becomes agitated when someone is splashing in the pool, and if there are young children near the edge he will attempt to pull them out by very gently biting their life jacket. He's not quite enough dog to do much lifting (35lbs), but he sure wants them out of the water.

I will see what I can do!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One of our dog love to chase after the water, but never would hardly jump in. So my wife showed her where the steps are located. Now she jumps in all the time. Especially with the extreme temps we have been having, when she goes out sometimes she will just jump in since she knows she can get out.

AWESOME story.

We have a Saint Bernard and a Mutt. He loves water, but the gate is always closed and locked. He
weighs 200lbs. The mutt hates water, no worries there.

Again, an AWESOME story..she sounds like an amazing dog (child) :)!!!

CindyG1 said:
What a beautiful story and what a wonderful dog! We love our 16 year old border collie mix. Maybe when her time has come I should consider a Newfoundland or a mix! Sounds like a very smart girl!

Cindy,

When we got her from the animal shelter, we were told she was a border collie, golden mix. In Great Britain they are called Colltrievers...they are BKC registered. She looks just like a Colltriever, but she is much bigger. She is for the most part over 100 lbs...which puts her in the lesser Newfie Catagory...not the great big ones that are typical of the breed.

Colltrievers are becoming very popular in Britain right now. Like Golden's are here. But I will tell you this. NEWFIE's Border Collies, and Golden Retrievers are very smart. They will outsmart their owners all the time. But you have to let them run as pups...big fenced in yard.

Incidentally our other dog...a rescue is an Australian Cattle Dog or Blue heeler. She is just a pup. Which is why Wrigley has lost so much weight. Also regarding Wrigley...as a side note. My dad recently spent 5 weeks in the hospital. She would see my mom come for Sunday dinners or dinner during the week but no dad. We noticed she was very sad and lethargic. When my dad came home we brought Wrigley to see him...as soon as she saw he was alright she became puppy like, and has been that way ever since. I think she thought she would never see him again. And when she did, it was like something immediately changed in her.

This has definitely touched alot of hearts today........I had a australian shepard/lab mix that we had for eleven years. Had to put her down to cancer two years ago. Your picture looked alot like her. Her name was Pepper. She never retrieved me from my pool, but if there was a snake in my yard, watch out! She would go after them and sling them from side to side until they snapped in two! :whip: Didn't care much for cats either, only she would just chase them and sit on top of them!

Coastal Carolina said:
This has definitely touched alot of hearts today........I had a australian shepard/lab mix that we had for eleven years. Had to put her down to cancer two years ago. Your picture looked alot like her. Her name was Pepper. She never retrieved me from my pool, but if there was a snake in my yard, watch out! She would go after them and sling them from side to side until they snapped in two! :whip: Didn't care much for cats either, only she would just chase them and sit on top of them!

Before we got the pool...I had moles in the yard...Wrigley and our cat Sgt Tibbs were a two animal extermination crew...Wrigley would dig a hole when they went in big enough for the Cat Tibbs to go in and get them out. Then they would flip them around between the two of them until the mole died. It was great fun to watch the two of them work together, but the holes left behind were real ankle benders! :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.