I started shocking the pool on July 21. Since that time I have added 40 - 1.4 gal jugs of 6% chlorine that's 56 gallons. The over night chlorine loss last night was 5 ppm and the pool is still cloudy, and there are two dinner plate sized pockets of what I assume to be dead algae that collected over night.
The filter has run continuously for six days and the pool is still consuming 0.5 - 1.5 ppm/hr of chlorine. For the first four days there is a very fine, white particulate material generated that collected in large patches on the bottom. The white stuff has gone away and now I seem to be getting more of the dirty brown looking stuff that I assume is dead algae.
In the thirteen years we have had the pool I've never encountered anything like this level of difficulty in getting the water to clear up. I guess I'm looking for assurance that I'm still on the right track and doing everything I should be to clear up the water.