Is their a danger in adding bleach , powder shock and tabs ?

Jun 26, 2011
I have a 35k gal pool and I live in Arizona. We had the worst dust storm in our history . The clor basket was empty so I put 6 tabs in it . I added 2 gal of bleach running the filter the whole time . then added a bag of shock ..... just to make sure. It was a small 22k gal shock bag. Chlorine is Chlorine right ? is this dangerous ? ....... swimming 2 days later wife felt sick....blames me....not my fault right ? Chlorine level was a little high but nothing crazy.

Re: Is their a danger in adding bleach , powder shock and ta

In this case chlorine is chlorine. That being said - dont mix different chlorine's in a small space - like a bucket or something. Sometimes they go boom.

If "sick" is more like a skin or eye irritation it could be PH related.

Post a set of test numbers if you have them. Just curious what FC "a little high" means

Re: Is their a danger in adding bleach , powder shock and ta

As a nurse in a hospital with a burn center, I have seen first hand what happens to people who mix pool chems together in a bucket. It's not good. We advise folks to NOT mix pool chemicals together. Doing so can result in an explosion or the release of poisonous gases. Add one chemical to the pool, let the water mix for 15 to 30 minutes, and then you can add another one, and so on.

In order to know what is going on with your pool water, we would need to see some test results to include FC, CC, pH, CH, CYA, and TA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.