cya test tube

May 27, 2011
Can somebody plese help me on test tube viewing. I do what the instructions say to do,but i can't really tell when the dot is really disappeared. Should the solution be completely white,or what. Pool calculator said to dump 50% of water,which i did,but cya is still around 70 or 80. I can't believe the cya is still around 70 after dumping that much water. Any help will be most appreciated. I will surely remember you in my nightly prayers. THANKS THANKS THANKS

If your CYA was 140 or more than 1/2 water replacement would cut it to 70.

If you were using pucks exclusively there is no reason your CYA couldn;t reach more than 140 - really just depends on rain/swim season/winter issues, etc. Do you happen to be in a warm climate where you never close the pool? (ie chlorinate it year round?)

Until may i used pucks. Until i found this wonderful site. I've used bbb since then. My cya had been around 90,using the tf100 kit. In s.c. the temp has been around 100. I might have a reading of less than 70,but i'm afraid if i use the wrong amount of cl i will get algae. All other readings are good. My fc reading last night was 12.5,cc 0,ta 90,ph 7.2. PH after dumping water was 6.8. I added borax now 7.2,just added 1 and half box of borax to bring ph to around 7.6.

I dont think you need to be too concerned with the algae issue. The bulk of the problems that people get are with the combination of high CYA (100 +) and running Pool Store recommended chlorine levels of 1-3ppm

As long as you are consistently keeping an eye on your levels and maintaining something close to the range you should be good. If you do have an issue it'll be something like light algae somewhere with low circulation - in which case you'll know you need to bump it up a bit. But your pool is not going to go full green because you misjudged your CYA by 20ppm.

I really do appreciate the info. I feel a whole lot better about cya situation. I really do think my reading was about 50 according to the view tube sample in the page provided. You guys will really be remembered for all of this advice. Thanks again so very much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.