Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clear cement for Electrical Conduit?

1. Back To Top    #1

Clear cement for Electrical Conduit?

Is there a clear cement that's for use on gray pvc electrical conduit? I've only ever used the gray cement. My electrician used a clear cement and now I'm a little (lot) worried about leaks. I checked the conduits for leaks after the pool was filled but never pressure tested them. I didn't think much of the cement until recent events.

Long story (sorry, need to vent)... the electrician came late to do the install and was in a hurry to get done. He seemed the type that just wants to do everything his way and didn't want me bothering him. There were a few things I didn't like but figured he's got the experience so I'll let him do his thing. Well, he ran the conduit for the two lights right into my sub panel without junction boxes. I questioned it but he said it was fine if it had duct seal on the ends at the panel. When the inspector saw it he wasn't of like mind. Pool water in the sub panel would be a bad thing, he says. Having paid $2000 for the automation system within, I strongly agreed.

So not even wanting this guy back and figuring I can do it better myself, I decide to add the junction boxes. I'm cutting the conduit behind the one light and I hear a pop sound. Hmm, that's not good. I got it all spliced then took a good look at the fitting at the niche. IT POPPED OUT! It must have given way from the slight torque I put on it while cutting. It had cement (clear) but it didn't cement much less weld as pvc cement should. I glued it up and it seems to be fine now. It's all my conduit to the j-box so no worries about leaks.

But... I have another light. It has about 30' of conduit now buried under gravel and crushed concrete (almost need a jackhammer to dig that stuff up) and I can't put a j-box behind this one because it's in the middle of an open patio area. I'll dig up the niche tomorrow, it's just covered in sand. If I can torque the conduit from the housing easily I'm going to have to rerun about 40' of conduit around the perimeter of the backfill area to where I can put the box.

25k gal Lazy-L, vinyl liner, poly walls, swimout spa, diving board, TurboTwister slide.
    Hayward 2HP 2-spd pump, Pentair 2HP spa pump, Hayward 30" 500lb sand filter.
    Goldline Pro Logic PS-8 automation/SWG. 2 LED ColorLogic 4.0. 8 Jandy deck jets. MX-8 cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clear cement for Electrical Conduit?

The proper glue is gray.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

The glue does not need to be gray, the glue can be clear.

PVC Electrical Conduit Cement 633 is specially formulated for use on polyvinyl chloride (PVC) conduit Types I and II. It is a medium body cement in clear or gray to match conduit color.

http://www.elliottelectric.com/Inventor ... /55605.pdf

4. Back To Top    #4

I just bought a can of PVC conduit cement and it's clear. In fact almost all I ever remember buying has been clear.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the replies. It does appear that clear cement is common and no wonder they would use it since much of the electrical work is exposed, on the sides of houses, etc. I just looked at one of the pieces I cut out and the joint with clear cement is solid as can be. Now I'm thinking he just forgot to cement it at the niche and I completely missed it before. Clear cements are nice for looks but darn hard to spot things like that.

I'm going to take a few deep breaths then check the other niche for cement. If it's good then I'll wire them up and relax. I'm not as worried about the 30' that's buried now.
    25k gal Lazy-L, vinyl liner, poly walls, swimout spa, diving board, TurboTwister slide.
    Hayward 2HP 2-spd pump, Pentair 2HP spa pump, Hayward 30" 500lb sand filter.
    Goldline Pro Logic PS-8 automation/SWG. 2 LED ColorLogic 4.0. 8 Jandy deck jets. MX-8 cleaner.