Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Latest Test Results

1. Back To Top    #1

Latest Test Results

Hello all,

Been lurking from time to time, but just registered to contribute.

I've had my 16x34 IG Fiberglass pool for about 5 years. Switched to the BBB method after the first year of ownership. Had nothing but trouble with the pucks. All has been pretty good since. Seem to always have 1 issue a year.

Had a general question about water balance. I use a Taylor k-2006 test kit. I've never paid attention to the water gram. Does anyone use it? I've always just adjusted the various parameters to suggested levels without realizing they play off one another for overall balance, yes? My understanding is to use it to determine which of 3 variables to use to bring the water into balance. Based on my latest test results I would either have to raise my CH or my PH to bring the water into balance. Yes?

FC 5
    PH 7.2
    TA 120
    CH 160
    CYA 30
    water temp 82

Thanks.
    16x34 fiberglass. Sand filter with Zeobrite.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Latest Test Results

With a fiberglass pool you need to raise the CH. You'll do yourself a favor if you read pool school especially about levels.
    It'll be much easier if you learn to use the Pool Calculator too. It'll give you recommended levels based on the rest of your parameters.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm working to get the CH above 220. My understanding was CH was more important for concrete pools and not so much for liner or fiberglass.

I've read pool school. I understand how to adjust everything and what to use. I'm interested in learning about the overall balance and relation of each of the parameters to others. Always reading advice here to adjust x because y is low, or you may want to raise z with x being low, etc... Just wanting to understand more why.
    16x34 fiberglass. Sand filter with Zeobrite.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy
    I'm working to get the CH above 220. My understanding was CH was more important for concrete pools and not so much for liner or fiberglass.

I've read pool school. I understand how to adjust everything and what to use. I'm interested in learning about the overall balance and relation of each of the parameters to others. Always reading advice here to adjust x because y is low, or you may want to raise z with x being low, etc... Just wanting to understand more why.
    Welcome to the forum The CH level recommendation for fiberglass is based on learning that these levels help prevent cobalt staining.

You could hop over to do some reading in Testing and Balancing Your Water, Chemistry 201 & The Deep End. Lots of discussions there.

Oh, and please do check out the PoolCalculator.com. You will be properly impressed
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!