Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG, Chlorine or other

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG, Chlorine or other

About three years ago I surveyed this forum and it seemed equally divided. I was wondering what people would think would be best for me 3 years later. I live in Ohio, so pool is open 4 months, two of which are hot and humid. What would you recommend and why? Vinyl liner and automatic pool cover if that matters.
    26,500 Gal, Vinyl, Sand Filter, Haywood SWG, Automatic Cover, OHIO

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG, Chlorine or other

Well, if you can afford the cost of a SWG that seems to be the way to go. With your pool being covered you chlorine usage should be on the low side and a SWG would just make it that much easier. If you don't mind the daily testing, stick with chlorine. Right now I am using chlorine because I don't have the $1000 sitting around that I can purchase a SWG with.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

With the swg you will be spending less time testing and adding chlorine. You will still have to test, although maybe not as frequently once you get a feel for it (I tend to run my swg levels a little high for a cushion... = less testing), you will likely have to add some acid on occasion to bring your ph levels down... this is typical for any swg. If you start the season w/your TA & ph balanced, the ph rise is minimal.. I've added acid to bring down my ph once this season.

I really like it because I don't have to buy, store, and lug chlorine to the pool, and very seldom have to add anything. I will occasionally adjust my swg up or down due to swimmer load, temps, debris, etc.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

4. Back To Top    #4

If it's only open 4 months I would recommend a chlorine injection system. The testing requirement shouldn't be any different no matter which chlorination method you choose. You should test at least every other day regardless.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I too live in Ohio.
    I just purchased a CompuPool SWG and installed it this year. Once I got the settings right, it seems to be holding it's own.
    I run my pump 12 hours a day at 30% (well with this heat wave, I've kept it at 40%). When I know I'll have people swimming I bump it to 50% just to keep up with any demand.
    I check every 2-3 days now, and Levels seem to be holding.
    Now I only keep 1 case of Chlorine on hand, if I see the levels are dropping too fast and need to shock, or when I'm ready to close for the season.

But it's all a personal preference. I was tired of buying Chlorine, and adding it every night. There would be times I would be gone and forget to add some, or something would come up. The result is I would end up w/ Algae. This just makes it easier to maintain in that regard.
    So there is no right or wrong choice, It's just what you feel you want/need.
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by BadOleRoss
    Right now I am using chlorine because I don't have the $1000 sitting around that I can purchase a SWG with.
    Not to mention the cost of the salt. I calculated that recently. OUCH!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    Quote Originally Posted by BadOleRoss
    Right now I am using chlorine because I don't have the $1000 sitting around that I can purchase a SWG with.
    Not to mention the cost of the salt. I calculated that recently. OUCH!
    I Took a print out from Walmart to Lowes. Lowes price matched, so I got my bags of salt for less than $4.00 a bag.

You don't have to buy the bags that say Pool Salt on them.
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

It would take 1100 lbs to bring mine to 3000 ppm.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    It would take 1100 lbs to bring mine to 3000 ppm.
    Yeah, so about 28 (40lb) bags, assuming your salt level is at 0.

That's all part of the consideration when converting to a SWG.
    Eric

10. Back To Top    #10

Not as bad as I thought, honestly. Not even close. Surprise for me!