Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Maintaing FC level when out of town

1. Back To Top    #1

Maintaing FC level when out of town

I travel a lot for work (usually gone 4 days/week). I have just switched to the BBB method to keep my pool clear, but my work schedule doesn't allow me to add bleach every day or even every other day. I'm in the process of figuring out how much FC/day is lost during a hot sunny day (i'm guessing 2-3ppm/day). Any suggestions on how to maintain the proper FC level so my pool won't be green when I return from work? I'd like to avoid using tabs/pucks because my CYA is 48 which is roughly the high limit of the normal range. I don't have anybody that can add bleach for me when I'm gone. I do have a solar cover that I don't use very much, but I can start if it will help maintain FC level when I'm gone. Thanks for any help!!
    17,500 gallons, Vinyl, Above ground, Hayward Sand filter, Hayward 1.5hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Maintaing FC level when out of town

If you can't add bleach manually "even every other day," then an automated solution like an SWG or the Liquidator would probably be worth looking at. If the solar cover is opaque, then it would probably help too, but maybe not enough.
    20k gallon IGP
    Plaster over gunite
    3/4 hp Hayward pump
    Purex Triton DE filter
    TF100 test kit w/ speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

Solar cover is blue. I live in michigan, so the pool season is only 3-4 months at best. It's tough to justify the cost of SWG for such a short season. I've heard that the liquidator will also increase the CYA (just like pucks/tabs). Thoughts?
    17,500 gallons, Vinyl, Above ground, Hayward Sand filter, Hayward 1.5hp pump

4. Back To Top    #4

The liquidator uses liquid chlorine so won't increase CYA as I understand it.
    20k gallon IGP
    Plaster over gunite
    3/4 hp Hayward pump
    Purex Triton DE filter
    TF100 test kit w/ speedstir