Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Intro and pool problems

1. Back To Top    #1

Intro and pool problems

I wish I had found this forum before I got started with all this.
    My question is this: Where do I go from here?
    My predicament: I have a 15' x 3.5 foot Intex-style easy-set pool. It's actually an Easy Pool, but the name is deceiving. I tried to hook up an Intex SWG system to the pool and it seemed to be working fine. Every test at Leslie's Pool said my water was good to go.
    A few weeks ago one of the hoses sprung a leak and the pump emptied half of the pool. I replaced the hose, but it wouldn't fit the SWG pump, so I had to bypass it for a week while I manufactured an adaptor. I refilled the pool from the water hose and everything was fine, or so I thought. This past Saturday night we got into the pool and found a white slimy substance all over the pool, floating freely. There was no way to get it out as it seemed to be replicating before our eyes.
    I think it might be white water mold, but some descriptions are confusing. My local pool company really wasn't any help.
    Since then I have added 3 pounds of shock, some algaecide, and salt. I also have the SWG going for 12 hours at a time.
    After I did all that I found this forum.
    What is the best next step? Should I stick with the SWG or go to the BBB method? Which will get rid of this stuff the quickest and best way? It's triple digit weather here in OK so I really need my pool.
    Am I on the right track or do I need to drop back and punt?
    Thanks for any suggestions.

bob
    16' x 3.5' Summer Escapes easy set pool
    1000 GPH pump by Summer Escapes (X2)
    'A' type filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intro and pool problems

You need to do the shocking process: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...king_your_pool
    Shocking you pool is a process and not a bag you dump in...do not dump in anymore bags until you read the link.

No need to ditch the SWG,you can use it in conjunction with the BBB method. Though you might want to turn it off and just use chlorine during the shocking process.

Read up on all this at pool school (see link at upper right of page). To help you, we need test results, perferably from a good test kit...see:http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...kit_comparison

Also, please put your pool and equipment description in your signature, it helps us help you.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

I read over the Pool School but just got more confused. Next year when I start over I will definitely study it intensely before I start.
    I'll check out the other links as suggested.
    Thanks.

bob
    'A' type filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

Are you doing any water testing? Post any test results, along with how the test was done (ie, tell us what test kit you are using or if you had a pool store do the test). Post whatever you have, but we'd especially need:

FC
    CC
    CYA
    pH

It does sound like you probably need to shock, but no one can say that for sure without some test results.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by crek31
    It does sound like you probably need to shock, but no one can say that for sure without some test results.
    Good point crek31! Since the OP mentioned the extended time without an oxidizer in the pool, shocking seems obvious. As you noted, test results are required for proper shocking.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

I usually use test strips on a weekly basis and have my local Leslie's Pool do a monthly test. I'm taking a sample in today to see what the results reveal.
    Won't the fact that I added chemicals today nullify/taint the results?

bob
    'A' type filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by 1shotbob
    Won't the fact that I added chemicals today nullify/taint the results?
    It may, crek31 listed what you results you most need now right now. If you FC is above 10 then the ph reading may read falsely high. CYA is important to know, since that determines what you shock FC level needs to be.

Pool store results may help in the short term, but you need to get yourself a good test kit! The pool store results may not be accurate, and if you have an algae problem, you will need measurements as often as you can get them. Follow the link I included above!

8. Back To Top    #8

Headed to the store for a kit right now.
    Thanks again.

bob
    'A' type filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Be warned that most pool stores won't have a good kit, and they'll tell you the kit they have is the same. Trust me that it's not!
    You need to make sure you get the one with the FAS-DPD and not just the DPD chlorine test.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Hard to know what you need to do with pool store results. I dosed my pool to 60 ppm with CYA per the pool calculator and the pool store said my CYA was at 30 PPM. My test results with Taylor kit confirmed 60 PPM.
    3500 gallon 14x42 Intex Ultra Frame
    1/2 HP Intex 1600 sand filter/pump - Intex SWCG
    Two 4x20 Fafco solar panels.
    Taylor K-2006
    Marquis spirit hot tub - Grill Dome ceramic grill/smoker

11. Back To Top    #11

OK, I'm back from Leslie's Pool Supply. I got the "Leslie's Complete Poolcare DPD Test Kit". It was the best one they had. Do I need the FAS-DPD kit? I don't see the one I got on their website but it looks similar to the one linked here.

Here are their readings from Leslie's:
    FAC - 5
    TAC - 5
    PH - 7.6
    TA - 90
    CH - 220
    CYA - 30
    Salt 2900

I had a guy doing the testing, and during the tests another guy took over. He agreed to all the tests except the FAC/TAC. He did a 'diluted test' and changed the number to 20+ (saying that 20 was as high as the graph showed.
    'A' type filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Is there a powder in the kit? That would tell us a great deal about the kit they sent you with.

If there is no powder in the kit, but only liquid reagents do NOT use the kit. Apparently they won't let you return it if it's been used, even once.

If there is powder in the kit, you're good to go. I would then ask...

Have you gone and tested your pool per the kit's instructions yet? Your results will be more valid than the store's. It's your pool, you actually care about it. Especially since they couldn't decide if TC and FC was 5... or 20+.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

13. Back To Top    #13

No powder in the kit. I guess I'm headed back to Leslie's.
    'A' type filter

14. Back To Top    #14

I believe that DPD test can only test up to ~5 ppm. That is why the second tester did the dilution. Makes sense that the FC and TC would be quite a bit above 5 ppm since your just added the "shock" product recently?

You really do need a FAS-DPD test to accurately follow the shocking process.

Here is an exerpt from pool school comparing the two tests:

DPD
    N, N-diethyl-paraphenylenediamine

Tests both FC and TC. You have to subtract the FC from the TC to get your CC. This test will turn different shades of red when chlorine is present and uses a color comparator that you match up the shade of red with. Many men have problems with this test because they are unable to differentiate the shades of red! This test can bleach out when chlorine levels go above 10 ppm and will turn colorless. This can lead you to believe that there is NO chlorine in your pool when it is actually very high. You can use OTO to verify if chlorine is present since it will not bleach out at high chlorine levels.

FAS-DPD
    Ferrous ammonium sulfate-N, N-diethyl-paraphenylenediamine

A titration or drop count test for both FC and CC, to find your TC add your FC and CC readings. Measures chlorine levels up to at least 25 ppm with an accuracy of .2 ppm. This is the test you want! It does not suffer from the bleach out problem that the DPD test has and is very easy to read since the color change is from red to colorless.

15. Back To Top    #15

It's only Tuesday. TFTestkits ships amazingly fast and is the best deal around. You would be sure to have everything you need likely within a few days if you went that route. I think the last shipment I received was sent on a Friday, and I got it on Tuesday the next week. I really couldn't be further from NC on the west coast here.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

16. Back To Top    #16

New readings as of today:

FC - 10
    CC - 15
    CYA - 6
    PH - 7.6
    CH - 40

bob
    'A' type filter

17. Back To Top    #17

How did you measure FC of 10? Was that you with the Leslie's kit, or from the pool store?

Are you sure that FC is 10 and CC is 15?

If you still have the kit you got from Leslie's, you can simply purchase this for accurate chlorine readings, and the ability to read high enough to perform the shock process
    http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine- ... t-p47.html
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by 1shotbob
    New readings as of today:

FC - 10
    CC - 15
    CYA - 6
    PH - 7.6
    CH - 40

bob
    Hey 1shotbob,

How did you get your numbers/do you believe them? Continue shocking, you CC is very high!

19. Back To Top    #19

A measurement I took with the Leslie's kit. It was a diluted test. Leslie's had no DAS-DPD test so this is the best I can do right now. I can order the FAS-DPD test but it will be several days before I can get so I wanted to jump-start this way.

I followed the instructions in the kit and that is the numbers I got. Are those impossible numbers?
    'A' type filter

20. Back To Top    #20

It seems really out of whack to me, I've never seen a CC of 15. The test you have is a plastic square with two tubular rectangles at each end, with a color chart on it, correct?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast