Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy water coming out of my returns

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy water coming out of my returns

My returns are returning cloudy water. The water in the pool looks pretty clear, but I am not sure why the returns are returning such cloudy water. I have a 40K gallon pool and have a Pentair SNF 60 filter. Do I need to clean the filter or back wash it or could it be something else? I just cleaned the filter and put new DE in about 5 weeks ago.

I appreciate your help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy water coming out of my returns

One possibility that comes to mind is that the cloudiness could be DE getting into the return flow via a damaged filter grid. Possibly something happened during the cleaning, for instance. If none of the experts has any better ideas, you might consider opening up the filter and taking a look for possible damage.
    20k gallon IGP
    Plaster over gunite
    3/4 hp Hayward pump
    Purex Triton DE filter
    TF100 test kit w/ speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you by chance have a SWCG? The bubbles in the water can make the water look dirty when it comes out of the returns.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Another possibility is that you could have a pin hole leak in the suction side of your plumbing which makes tiny air bubbles. This could explain why the water looks cloudy when it comes out of the returns, but the pool looks clear.
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

5. Back To Top    #5

I do have a SWCG. The water looks cloudy coming out of the returns and I put it to return only water to the spa and the water in the spa became cloudy as well.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by ccp
    I do have a SWCG. The water looks cloudy coming out of the returns and I put it to return only water to the spa and the water in the spa became cloudy as well.
    Turn the SWCG off and see if the water clears after a few minutes.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat