Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1st results - UK

1. Back To Top    #1

Dorset, UK

1st results - UK

We've had the pool (came with the house) for 18 months. Season here is late May until sometime in September. The pool is half drained over winter. It then re-fills up rainwater over the winter and may need a further several inches emptying during the winter.

Just got a test kit, having used test strips in blissful ignorance along with keeping 2 tri-chlor pucks in a floating dispenser for the last year. Only have the DPD chlorine test at the moment. The water looks great and is very clear.

pH - 6.8 to 7.2 (difficult to match the colours. 6.8 is the minimum for the kit)
    FC - 6 (difficult to match the colours. 6 is the maximum for the kit)
    TA - 60
    CH - 140
    CYA - 75

pH obviously needs sorting. Pool calculator says to add 0.5kg of Soda Ash (I already have some), so my plan is to add 3/4 of this tomorrow morning and retest tomorrow evening, and switch to Tesco Value bottles of 5% bleach.

Anything else I need to stock up on?
    12ft x 24ft x 4ft inground vinyl, 32,000 litres, 3 phase 1.25hp Waterco pump on DIY VFD for cheap variable speed. 18kW Heat pump, Lacron sand filter, Solarmatt, 10kW Solar PV

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: 1st results - UK

Once you get the pH adjusted, bleach is probably the only thing you're going to need with any regularity. I'd just keep several containers of that on hand and buy whatever else you need as you need it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: 1st results - UK

Just make sure that when you are opening your pool, you pay attention to your CYA level.

Previously, using trichlor, you have had a constant supply of CYA, and have been keeping it in check with your yearly 1/2 refill.

Moving to BBB, you will no longer have the constant supply of CYA. If you continue to do your refills, your CYA level will eventually get too low.

Not a big deal... Just something to be aware of.