Algae living in plastic stairs

Jul 7, 2011
N. Ga Mountains
I have been continually fighting algae in my pool. I shock and pass the OTC and then in a week the algae is back. I just noticed that in the support tube for my ladder in the pool, it is bright green. I then inspected the tiny holes in each step and they too are bright green. Now I am taking the ladder out of the pool and need to kill the algae in it. My thought is to take it apart and sok it in the bathtub in a solution of clorox. Any ideas on how much bleach and how long do I need to soak it? Also my husband suggested that he drill larger holes in each step to help keep the water circulated . Also larger holes in the sup[ports. What do you think? Has anyone else found this to be an issue? Maybe I am wrong and that is not causing my problem but it is certainly bright green even after shocking for 3 days to get the pool clear.

Which test kit do you have?
Are you making sure you're completely rid of the algae? Do you pass all three parts of the OCLT?

I would inject bleach into the holes. My Sis has a set of steps that have tiny holes and I told her to take a syringe and inject some bleach in each one periodically to keep the algae from growing.

I have the TF-100 test kit. Yes, I passed all 3 parts of the test, 3 times now. I thought of injecting chlorine into the holes too but thought it might be wise to take the ladder apart and soak it in the tub...The support in the back is bright green inside. I poured chlorine straight into it today. It looks a little bit lighter. The stairs still look bright green in the tiny little holes on each side of them.

I don't know about better but it'd be as good and you wouldn't have to take them apart and it wouldn't take as much bleach. Since you have green in them I'd put a good bit in there and do it for several days in a row. Then I'd make it a once a month ritual of injecting bleach in all the little holes.

OK, I just used a turkey baster to pour bleach directly into all the holes. About an hour later I have black clumps floating up and out of the holes...I will make this a monthly ritual. I truly feel that maybe this has been the cause of the continual algae problem. Oh, it now looks almost like pure white plastic in the biggest hole in the support instead of grass green. Think it's time to go float with a beer in hand!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.