Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High TA question

1. Back To Top    #1

Canton, MI

High TA question

I've just switched from using tricolor tabs to the BBB method. My TA is around 150, however, PH seems to be maintaining normal around 7.6. Should I lower the TA into the normal range, or leave it where it's at?
    17,500 gallons, Vinyl, Above ground, Hayward Sand filter, Hayward 1.5hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Dallas, TX

Re: High TA question

If your pH is stable, I wouldn't be overly concerned about it.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: High TA question

After awhile, the pH may start to move. When it does, adjust pH down to 7.5 with muriatic acid. Keep testing often to see how fast the pH rebounds. If it goes up to far or too fast, you can work to lower the TA, but you don't have to work at it. TA will go lower as you adjust pH when it is needed.

Do test your tap water to see if it is high TA, knowing that it is will alert you to the need to test pH more often if you are adding a lot of tap water. OTOH, rain is 0 TA, so a lot of rain will reduce TA, and pH will be affected by that as well.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.