Validity of OCLT / vacation plan

Prav

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Hi,all -

In the continuing effort to understand my pool and plan on vacation dosing, been doing some testing:

Sunday 8PM
FC - 8
CC - 0.5
pH 7.5
Alk 80
CYA 40
CH 400
Borates 30-50
Temp 90
Water clear

Monday 7AM
FC - 7
CC - 0

Monday 7PM
FC 3.5
CC - 0
Temp 92
Water clear
Added a big splash of CL (didn't really measure - maybe a bit over a gallon)

Monday 8PM
FC 12.5
CC 0

Tuesday 7AM
FC 12
CC 0

So here's my question:
Did I technically pass the OCLT on both days since FC loss was <1? Or can I only say that if I am at shock level (20 if I recall for my CYA)?

I'm taking bets on what the FC will be tonight.... expecting a hot, sunny day with direct sunlight exposure for well over 8 hours. I'll say 8.

My preliminary plan for vac:
Thursyday (day 1) load up floater with 3 tabs, dump 2½ gallons CL (should get it in the 20s FC)
Tell neighbor to add 2½ gallons CL on Tuesday (day 5) and again on Sunday (day 10)
Come back Tuesday (day 12) and hope FC is somewhere like 3-5 and pool is still sparkly.

I guess I could also tell him to add the 2½ gallons on day 7 and that's it, but more likelihood of something blooming because potential FC drop to 0... though borates may help keep it in check.

M.

If I saw those results on my testing, I wouldn't be concerned with shocking the pool.

I can tell you that borates have helped my pool survive a low FC level more than once. I think your plan sounds good.

Those three tabs will raise your CYA to about 45. Probably not a bad thing for you in Miami!

Tuesday PM FC = 8... maybe less sunny than Monday?

Wednesday AM FC = 8.... maybe some testing error, but close enough for my purposes.

24 hours to wheels up. 4 tabs in; CL dump tonight. See you in two weeks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.