Is this algae or something else?

Jul 23, 2011
First, this site rocks!!!
I've been lurking awhile and the information here is fantastic.
I think this may be mustard algae but I'd like some of your expert opinions.
Thanks!!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311646770.850169.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311646770.850169.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 232
Mustard algae tends to grow on the shady sides of the pool. What you are seeing may be regular algae, or it could be pollen. Algae will feel slimy to the touch, pollen will feel powdery. Have you been testing the water regularly? If so has there been any change in chlorine consumption? Please post a complete set of test results and we will help you figure this out. Without a complete set of test results we are only guessing at what it could be.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

You can also tell us how the algae/stuff acts.

If it is only on the floor, it can be pollen or algae.
If it is on the wall, it is algae.

Is it yellow or greenish/yellow? When you brush it does brush off easily and make a yellow dust?

Waiting for full set of water test results :)

Butterfly said:
Welcome to the forum :wave:

You can also tell us how the algae/stuff acts.

If it is only on the floor, it can be pollen or algae. only on the floor
If it is on the wall, it is algae.

Is it yellow or greenish/yellow? When you brush it does brush off easily and make a yellow dust? greenish/yellow/grayish/brown LOL. brushes easily, i can actually just get close and the water moving causes it to make a dust, I'd say the dust could be yellow but id call it closer to brownish

Waiting for full set of water test results :) I have been testing but I'm embarassed to say with strips. I just ordered the TF-100. Shouldnt take long since I'm only 30 miles from Duraleigh.

I've got the SWCG set on 35% and according to the strips its around 5ppm FC everytime I check. I will post real test results as soon as I can!
Thank you!!!

Got the TF100 today and performed full set of tests. Will check in the morning to complete the OCLT.
Here are the numbers, cant wait to hear from you all:
Date 7/27/2011
FC 10.5
CC 1
TC high, Darker Yellow than anything on the block
pH 7.5
TA 130
CH 40
CYA 100
Temp 89

Your CYA is very high (might actually be higher than 100, since that is the upper limit of test). I would suggest a partial drain to get ~70 ppm (for your swg) and refill before you go much farther. It is very hard to shock effectively at that high of a CYA (mustard algae shock will require at least 54 ppm :shock: ) probably more since your CYA is probably even higher. By the way, normal shock level at 100 ppm CYA is ~25 ppm, so your FC is very low right now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You will probably want to address the low CH.. use the pool calculator to determine what you need to add. With a vinyl liner, CH is not as important as it is for some of the other pool surfaces, but I understand if it's too low or way too high it can cause problems with other pool componants and your swg.

Yes, using pucks is certainly where your cya came from if you've never put any plain "stabilizer" in your pool before. Pucks either have cya "stabilizer" or calcium in them to make them safe to use. If you've used pucks for years, you're lucky that your cya wasn't higher requiring more draining.

Minimum CH for a vinyl pool is 50, so your could come up a little. Check the salt levels for your SWG and make sure they did not drop too low. When you run the overnight test be sure to turn the SWG off!

Ive now changed atleast 2500 gallons and still cant get past 100 on the CYA test.
Draining more water right now.
Water bill is going to be crazy this month.

The Pool School is fantastic! I've learned more in a couple weeks than I have in years of trips to the pool store.

Anyway, Im on my way to a trouble free pool. I took out another 1500 gallons tonight which should total about 4000 gallons the last two days. Should be about 30%.
Hopefully I will see progress on my CYA test in the morning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.