Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this algae or something else?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this algae or something else?

First, this site rocks!!!
    I've been lurking awhile and the information here is fantastic.
    I think this may be mustard algae but I'd like some of your expert opinions.
    Thanks!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    24' x 52" Round AG Pool, Hayward Aqua-trol SWCG, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter, Hayward Power Flow LX Pump 1HP 60GPM, Hayward H100ID Heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Another view
    Attached Images Attached Images
    24' x 52" Round AG Pool, Hayward Aqua-trol SWCG, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter, Hayward Power Flow LX Pump 1HP 60GPM, Hayward H100ID Heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Is this algae or something else?

Mustard algae tends to grow on the shady sides of the pool. What you are seeing may be regular algae, or it could be pollen. Algae will feel slimy to the touch, pollen will feel powdery. Have you been testing the water regularly? If so has there been any change in chlorine consumption? Please post a complete set of test results and we will help you figure this out. Without a complete set of test results we are only guessing at what it could be.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to the forum

You can also tell us how the algae/stuff acts.

If it is only on the floor, it can be pollen or algae.
    If it is on the wall, it is algae.

Is it yellow or greenish/yellow? When you brush it does brush off easily and make a yellow dust?

Waiting for full set of water test results
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    Welcome to the forum

You can also tell us how the algae/stuff acts.

If it is only on the floor, it can be pollen or algae. only on the floor
    If it is on the wall, it is algae.

Is it yellow or greenish/yellow? When you brush it does brush off easily and make a yellow dust? greenish/yellow/grayish/brown LOL. brushes easily, i can actually just get close and the water moving causes it to make a dust, I'd say the dust could be yellow but id call it closer to brownish

Waiting for full set of water test results I have been testing but I'm embarassed to say with strips. I just ordered the TF-100. Shouldnt take long since I'm only 30 miles from Duraleigh.

I've got the SWCG set on 35% and according to the strips its around 5ppm FC everytime I check. I will post real test results as soon as I can!
    Thank you!!!

6. Back To Top    #6

Once you get the test kit an overnight chlorine loss test would be a good idea in addition to the standard set. It helps show whether there's organics in the pool which the chlorine is fighting.

pool-school/overnight_fc_test
    20k gallon IGP
    Plaster over gunite
    3/4 hp Hayward pump
    Purex Triton DE filter
    TF100 test kit w/ speedstir

7. Back To Top    #7

Got the TF100 today and performed full set of tests. Will check in the morning to complete the OCLT.
    Here are the numbers, cant wait to hear from you all:
    Date 7/27/2011
    FC 10.5
    CC 1
    TC high, Darker Yellow than anything on the block
    pH 7.5
    TA 130
    CH 40
    CYA 100
    Temp 89

8. Back To Top    #8

Your CYA is very high (might actually be higher than 100, since that is the upper limit of test). I would suggest a partial drain to get ~70 ppm (for your swg) and refill before you go much farther. It is very hard to shock effectively at that high of a CYA (mustard algae shock will require at least 54 ppm ) probably more since your CYA is probably even higher. By the way, normal shock level at 100 ppm CYA is ~25 ppm, so your FC is very low right now.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok, I went ahead and pumped off 1500 gallons tonight. Will do new tests in the morning when its back full.

10. Back To Top    #10

After the partial water change ~1500 gallons. (48" down to 42" in 24' pool)

Date 7/28/2011
    FC 7.5
    CC 0
    TC 7.5
    pH 7.5
    TA 80
    CH 40
    CYA 90
    Temp 86
    Salt 2600

11. Back To Top    #11

You made progress, but now is the time to get that CYA even lower. General guide for swg is 70-80 ppm CYA.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

12. Back To Top    #12

Should I be concerned about the low CH?
    and am I right to assume that years of trichlor pucks caused cya to be so high?

13. Back To Top    #13

You will probably want to address the low CH.. use the pool calculator to determine what you need to add. With a vinyl liner, CH is not as important as it is for some of the other pool surfaces, but I understand if it's too low or way too high it can cause problems with other pool componants and your swg.

Yes, using pucks is certainly where your cya came from if you've never put any plain "stabilizer" in your pool before. Pucks either have cya "stabilizer" or calcium in them to make them safe to use. If you've used pucks for years, you're lucky that your cya wasn't higher requiring more draining.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

14. Back To Top    #14

Minimum CH for a vinyl pool is 50, so your could come up a little. Check the salt levels for your SWG and make sure they did not drop too low. When you run the overnight test be sure to turn the SWG off!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

Ive now changed atleast 2500 gallons and still cant get past 100 on the CYA test.
    Draining more water right now.
    Water bill is going to be crazy this month.

The Pool School is fantastic! I've learned more in a couple weeks than I have in years of trips to the pool store.

Anyway, Im on my way to a trouble free pool. I took out another 1500 gallons tonight which should total about 4000 gallons the last two days. Should be about 30%.
    Hopefully I will see progress on my CYA test in the morning.