Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test Strip Woes

1. Back To Top    #1

Test Strip Woes

This is just a general rant, but I have come to the realization that test strips suck..

Took a while to get my CYA where i needed it considering the strip reads 0, 30-50, 100. And both 0 and 30-50 are almost an identical color.

Now the other morning I tested my FC after the SWG had finished, and it was normally at around 3. This time it was less than 1ppm. So I put some bleach in and got the FC to about 4 and tested it after the sun had gone down and it was still 4. I woke up the next morning and tested it again and it was at 0ppm.

Now here lies more problems with the strips. I used the pool calc and poured in the amount of bleach it told me to so that i can get my FC 20-24. But I have no idea whether it got that high or not because my test strips only read to 10 and the color the strip turned is close to 6, 8, and 10 so i just have to hope that it got there. My problem is I don't know how much bleach to keep adding to keep it there.

My pool wasn't really cloudy but for it to go from 4 to 0 in a span of only 8-10 hours had me worried.

Sure would be nice if my TF100 came in, but it hasn't moved from FedEx facility in 4 days now.
    33k in-ground plaster pool and spa / Goldline T-15 SWG w/ Aqualogic controller / RS2000 Hayward pump / Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 sq. ft. cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test Strip Woes

Last time I tested w/strip it said CYA was just barely registering above 0. I mean, the pad was only slightly different than 0 is portrayed and nowhere near the 30-50 range color.

I then tested w/real CYA test. 40-45ppm.

Very frustrating. Sorry. Also strange fed-ex is holding onto your package. I assume a call to them does nothing for you huh?
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by frogabog
    Last time I tested w/strip it said CYA was just barely registering above 0. I mean, the pad was only slightly different than 0 is portrayed and nowhere near the 30-50 range color.

I then tested w/real CYA test. 40-45ppm.

Very frustrating. Sorry. Also strange fed-ex is holding onto your package. I assume a call to them does nothing for you huh?

If that was true i could have an extremely high CYA considering im tryin to get it to the 60--70 range
    33k in-ground plaster pool and spa / Goldline T-15 SWG w/ Aqualogic controller / RS2000 Hayward pump / Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 sq. ft. cartridge filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you think you've added more than 60ppm worth of CYA? Have you been dosing it up because the test isn't showing anything?

Junky strips. Yuck. Don't panic. You've got a little room for error with the SWG apparently.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

5. Back To Top    #5

Nah i think i've added about 60-70ppm worth of cya, but still bugs me that it looks like 0,30-50...

6. Back To Top    #6

While you are waiting on your TF-100 to arrive, you could bring a sample by a pool store for a comparison.

7. Back To Top    #7

No pool stores nearby. Had to drive about 90 miles just to get sand.

8. Back To Top    #8

Well got the test kit in today. It is sooooooo much easier to measure levels with this.

Here are the results i got with the TF100

FC 14
    CC <0.5
    TC 14-14.5
    pH 7.5
    T/A 140
    CH 280
    CYA 80
    Temp 83°
    NA 2650

According to the pool calc I added enough chlorine to go from 0 to 20. and in 4 days it has only dropped by 6 points and my CC is less than 0.5 so I'm thinking whatever was in there is dead now.
    To get the FC back down to swim able levels should I turn the SWG off for a day or so or leave it running? I took the cover off this morning after the test to try and get rid of some of the FC.
    I may have to add some more salt to get it back up to around 3000.

9. Back To Top    #9

I would first do the OCLT:http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...rnight_fc_test before dropping FC level back to normal.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

10. Back To Top    #10

I would do the OCLT test also, just to make sure, but anything under your shock level is safe to swim in.
    24 x 52 Round AG Outback Empire Pool 13,500 gal.
    1 HP Hayward Power-Flo pump w/Hayward 18" 150lb. sand filter
    TF-100 test kit & SpeedStir
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

11. Back To Top    #11

did the OCLT and my FC moved by less than 0.5

12. Back To Top    #12

If you passed the test (looks like you did) and your CC is .5 or less, your water is clear then you are good to go.
    24 x 52 Round AG Outback Empire Pool 13,500 gal.
    1 HP Hayward Power-Flo pump w/Hayward 18" 150lb. sand filter
    TF-100 test kit & SpeedStir
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by OsiViper
    did the OCLT and my FC moved by less than 0.5
    Nice job killing those little invisible monsters
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.