Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I have a leak!

1. Back To Top    #1

I have a leak!

I just went and did a back wash and when I turned the pump back on, I discovered a really bad leak.

I am worried with this weather and the tech said they cant come until Wednesday or Thursday. So I am worried that the water will turn. It is leaking from the line that goes between the pump and filter where the temp sensor is drilled into the line. I tried to tighten it but that didnt help it is still leaking like crazy. I had to shut the pump down so, I hope to find someone to fix it tomorrow

Is this normal? the sensor just seems to sit there so cant understand why all of a sudden

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I have a leak!

If it is a threaded fitting, could you remove the fitting, clean it, and put a few twists of teflon tape on it?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

It is just a plastic piece, looks like a solid screw with no threading, its under a 1/4" round. It has a small rubber gasket on the end and it sits in a drilled hole in the line. It is held there by a metal hose clamp. I have wiggled it around and tightened it a bit, and it is very small leak, little drip. So I am going to run the pump as it only runs during the night.

I am going to see if the pool guy can come by tomorrow, it has been leaking on and off since install.

4. Back To Top    #4

Can you remove it and plug the hole temporarly until you can get it fixed? Just a piece of rubber under the clamp should do it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Either the o-ring at the sensor's base is gone or the pipe crushed.

Wrapping Teflon tape to form a temporary gasket will work and the temp sensor function will continue. If the sensor was set in a piece of flex pipe, that piece of pipe should be replaced with pressure rated PVC anyway.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

6. Back To Top    #6

I patched the hose for now. I cut the collapsed piece and added a pvc joint piece to it. then drilled another hole for the sensor and for now all is well.

If I do replace that piece with a hard pvc pipe, where do i put the sensor? will the temp sensor seal on a solid piece of pvc?

7. Back To Top    #7

Just bore a hole in the pipe and install it there. It'll seal on the rigid better than it does on the flex.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit