AG Pool - All that's needed...help, please and thanks

nlm74

Jul 24, 2011
So after visiting a couple of local dealers, and comparing online I think I've come to the decision that it's gonna be cheaper to purchase online and all parts separately (instead of going with a package deal). We're looking at the Sharkline Matrix Resin 28' round (unless others have other recommendations) There's an option to get a 52 or 54" wall. Is this merely preference or is it better to get a higher wall with a bigger pool size?

Also, since I'm purchasing accesories seperately, what exactly are must haves for this size pool:
pump & filter size (1, 1.5 or 2hp?) (19 or 13")
type of liner (overlap, unibead or true)
to foam or not to foam?
solar cover?

Anything else major I'm missing?

Thanks so much!

Nicole

If you're in the Northeastern part of the country, I'd definitely get the solar cover. Regarding foam, I don't have it and my pool bottom and walls feel just fine. The bottom has very few footprints and almost no liner wrinkles with the sand alone. I don't know how much more the foam costs, but if it is at all significant, you'll do just fine without it. You'll also want some pool maintenance equipment like a leaf rake, a vacuum, and a hand skimmer. You can get those at your local pool store or order online. I like intheswim.com for pool supplies, but others on this forum have other online store preferences that I'm sure they're willing to share. Good luck with your pool purchase!
Ruth

52" vs. 54" is a personal preference. I would personally always go deeper, but that would also depend on the cost as 2" isn't a really significant amount.

As far as pumps go, be sure you read the information on this site regarding HP and efficiency ratings. It seems to be the general consensus that a lower HP, higher efficiency pump is the way to go as it will pump the same amount of water using less power. 2-speed pumps are also an option and can be beneficial if your power costs are high.

Filter is a personal choice, though most agree to get a bigger filter than you think you'll need. It'll cut down on your maintenance time and allow you to spend more time enjoying your pool.

Foam, coves and the like are also a personal choice, though most seem to agree they do help protect your liner somewhat. The cost of these weren't too high last time I checked, so if it's in the budget, I'd probably just go ahead and add the foam and coves.

You'll also want to look into some sort of salt generator as it will help with the overall maintenance of the pool.

Good luck.

I'd like a 54" but my GD liek that we have a 52" She can walk around in it but she couldn't if it was 2" deeper.
At least a 24" / 250 lb sand filter, 200 ft² cartridge or a 60 ft² DE filter. Bigger is better in filters.
Either a 3/4 hp full or a 1 hp up-rated 2-speed pump.
I like the beaded or unibead liner look but the overlap is fine.
I don't have foam on the walls or the floor but will probably go with floor foam next time.
I have a foam cove but it's not a big deal either way. Sand or foam.
Definitely a solar cover.

Thanks so much for all the advice, there's so much info out there; it's mind boggling. Our installer came over today and with the shape of the yard, looks like it makes more sense to get an oval. So...now we're looking at 15x30's. Any advice about size equipment that we need for this size pool?

Much appreciated!

I agree with pretty much everything above. We have gone both routes, just sand and now foam wall-cove-Gorilla Pad all with our last liner replacement and it does make a difference. I would not go without again. As far as equipment, large filter 2 speed pump, solar panels, and nothing beats a SWG for convenience. Get a nice set of walk in steps, ladders are difficult and unsightly. A good solar blanket keeps all your heat in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.