Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please comment on the pool chems.

1. Back To Top    #1

Please comment on the pool chems.

Ok guys. I have been in this house now for a month. The current readings for the pool are
    TC = 10, pH = 7.8, TA = 70, CH = 270, CYA = 65, Salt = 3100. When I started the CYA was almost 0, I have been bringing it up little by little. Today I added 10 oz. of Muriatic acid and 7 oz. of stabilizer. I don’t have any baking soda right now so will pick some up tomorrow. The calculator says to add 10 oz. So opinions would be great please.
    1: 10,000 gals in the ground plaster, Hayward pump SP2715X20 2hp
    2: Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator / T-Cell-15, Hayward Pro-Grid DE Filter Model DE3620
    3: AquaCal Heat Pump, Astrlite SP0580S Under Water Light
    4: Port PolarisCaretaker, TFTestKit-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Please comment on the pool chems.

Why do you want to add baking soda? Your numbers look good to me except that you report only TC not FC and CC. You need a good test kit like the tft kit.

edit: sorry I just saw your sig showing you have the tf100 test kit.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

TC at 10 is a bit high, not a problem, but no need to have it that high.

There is no need to adjust TA right now. Wait till it goes down some more before raising it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

How does that water look (feel)? TC might be more than you need, but sounds like you are on the right track to me.
    Vinyl In-Ground (vinyl) - about 21600 gallons (18x32 Grecian)
    Hayward DE (model 7220?) filter with Multiport valve
    Challenger Hi Flo Pump (3/4 HP)
    Intex SWG
    leaky/non-functioning Raypak Versa Natural Gas Heater *removed*

5. Back To Top    #5

Sorry guys FC = 10 CC = 0
    As for the soda the calculator says to get a 75 TA to add 12oz of soda
    The water looks great.
    2: Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator / T-Cell-15, Hayward Pro-Grid DE Filter Model DE3620

6. Back To Top    #6

your TA range is 60-80 I believe, so 70 is about what you want. But if you are adding acid, I think it would be good to have some soda on hand, but not necessarily add it until you know you need it.
    Vinyl In-Ground (vinyl) - about 21600 gallons (18x32 Grecian)
    Hayward DE (model 7220?) filter with Multiport valve
    Challenger Hi Flo Pump (3/4 HP)
    Intex SWG
    leaky/non-functioning Raypak Versa Natural Gas Heater *removed*

7. Back To Top    #7

Assuming your FC is 10 I would start reducing your SWG run % so that the SWG cell will last longer. I suggest that you test your fill water for TA. Our fill water is high in TA so we do not add baking soda. How are you testing for CYA? I would not add more CYA until you have confirmed your CYA level. Your CYA is already close to the recommended level for a SWG pool.
    30,000 gallon gunite in-ground with a spillover spa, Diving board and water slide
    Hayward 1 HP Super II filter pump, Hayward 24 " Sand Filter Pro Series using zeolite media
    Polaris 380 cleaner with ¾ HP booster pump, Hayward Heatmaster pool heater, AutoPilot DIG-220 Power Supply SC-60 cell
    Testing with the TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

When I moved in the CWG was set @ 50% (way to high ) the FC was off the wall. I cut it back to 35% and it was still to high So I cut it back to 30 %. Today I lowered it again to 20%.
    I use the TF100 XL test kit and I will perform the tests twice so I make sure I am not screwing things up. I have taken the water to a pool store and sometimes they are OK but most times they are wrong. I never use their readings.

9. Back To Top    #9

The CYA you've added is what is causing your SWG to be more efficient. This is good, and what the intent of raising CYA is for. If you're sure of CYA level, I'd stop right there with stabilizer additions and see how it goes for a week or so. It very well may be exactly where you need it to be.

You're my kind of peep... gettin yerself a good laugh at the pool store every few days for kicks and giggles.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

10. Back To Top    #10

It is truely wonderfulllllllllllllllllllllll.