Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Owner, putting in chemicals for the first time

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Owner, putting in chemicals for the first time

I have a 27' x 27' x 52" AG pool that was just filled today for the first time and was wondering what I have to do as far as putting the chemicals in. It holds 17,100 gallons of water and has a sand pump. thank you, summer
    27' x 27' x 52" , 17,100 Gallons, AG, Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Owner, putting in chemicals for the first time

I think most of your questions can be answered by the pool school http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/ articles.

Also http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ary_pool_guide is a good beginner guide, it is written for temporary pools, but you can apply much of it to a new pool as well
    Vinyl In-Ground (vinyl) - about 21600 gallons (18x32 Grecian)
    Hayward DE (model 7220?) filter with Multiport valve
    Challenger Hi Flo Pump (3/4 HP)
    Intex SWG
    leaky/non-functioning Raypak Versa Natural Gas Heater *removed*

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: New Pool Owner, putting in chemicals for the first time

Welcome to TFP!

A freshly filled pool will not have any CYA. You are going to want to raise CYA to around 40 to 50. Until 24 hours after adding CYA, put in 2 ppm of chlorine each evening. Once CYA has been in for 24 hours, switch to adjusting FC appropriately for your CYA level.

You should also get test results for PH, TA, and CH to see if there is anything that needs to be done with them.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School