Reading CYA on TF-100 test kit

Jul 7, 2011
N. Ga Mountains
My question may sound silly, however I need to be sure I am reading this correctly. When I fill the tube for the CYA test (using the TF-100 test kit) do I read the level where the black dot cannot seen at all or when it is hazy without an outline? It still looks grayish in the bottom but I cannot delineate the outline of the black dot, then my reading is 100. If I keep going until I absolutely cannot make out any darkness then it is 70. I am shocking my pool right now and am concerned that the cya is way too high. I don't know if I should continue shocking or start replacing water. I have a rather stubborn algae bloom and have been shocking since yesterday morning. I am using dichlor. I will switch to the household bleach but was using up what I already have. Thanks for your help.

dichlor will also raise your CYA level even higher than it all ready is, making the shock job even more difficult. In my limited experience, I would advise to save the dichlor for when you need it and shock with straight bleach for now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.