Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Reading CYA on TF-100 test kit

1. Back To Top    #1

Reading CYA on TF-100 test kit

My question may sound silly, however I need to be sure I am reading this correctly. When I fill the tube for the CYA test (using the TF-100 test kit) do I read the level where the black dot cannot seen at all or when it is hazy without an outline? It still looks grayish in the bottom but I cannot delineate the outline of the black dot, then my reading is 100. If I keep going until I absolutely cannot make out any darkness then it is 70. I am shocking my pool right now and am concerned that the cya is way too high. I don't know if I should continue shocking or start replacing water. I have a rather stubborn algae bloom and have been shocking since yesterday morning. I am using dichlor. I will switch to the household bleach but was using up what I already have. Thanks for your help.
    33 ft round x 52", vinyl
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump
    sta-rite 2.18ft ,200 lb sand filter
    24500 gal.
    Hayward Salt & Swim3

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Reading CYA on TF-100 test kit

Here is a link to pictures from Taylor:http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Ch...P?ContentID=44
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

dichlor will also raise your CYA level even higher than it all ready is, making the shock job even more difficult. In my limited experience, I would advise to save the dichlor for when you need it and shock with straight bleach for now.
    Vinyl In-Ground (vinyl) - about 21600 gallons (18x32 Grecian)
    Hayward DE (model 7220?) filter with Multiport valve
    Challenger Hi Flo Pump (3/4 HP)
    Intex SWG
    leaky/non-functioning Raypak Versa Natural Gas Heater *removed*

4. Back To Top    #4

OK...I didn't realize I could switch mid-stream. Thanks for the help!
    33 ft round x 52", vinyl
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump
    sta-rite 2.18ft ,200 lb sand filter
    24500 gal.
    Hayward Salt & Swim3