Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool construction, 2 pumps or 1?

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool construction, 2 pumps or 1?

I am about to start construction on an in-ground concrete pool. I have calculated it to be about 60,000 gallons. I'm trying to decide if I should put in one large pump or two smaller ones. Pump cost and operating cost is only a little higher for the two pumps and I get the security of some circulation should a pump fail until I get a new one. On the other hand is the extra energy and intial cost worth that? Any suggestions?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool construction, 2 pumps or 1?

I have a multispeed pump in my pool. The faster the pump runs the more wattage it uses. I haven't done much testing, but the change is NOT linear. Here are a couple numbers from my Jandy ePump:

3450 rpm - 2114 watts
    3000 rpm - 1375 watts
    2500 rpm - 794 watts
    2000 rpm - 407 watts
    1500 rpm - 189 watts

I can't tell you how much water is being moved at each speed. But if you run 2 pumps at 2000 rpm, I bet it moves almost twice as much water as 1 pump at 2500 rpm.
    40x20 Free Form IG Pool (aprox 29,000 Gal, 140 Perimeter, depth 3'6"-7', Baja Shelf, 8x8 Free Form Spa) - Gunite Shell, Pebble Plaster Finish, Poured Concrete Coping - 3 Deep Heat Returns - Jandy LXi400 Gas Heater (400,000 Btu) - Jandy Variable Speed Pump JEP 2.0 - Jandy CL 600 Filter - HASA Liquidator - Jandy PDA 6 w/ Remote - 4x Jandy WaterColors Pool LEDs - 48" Gas Fire Pit - 6x Gas Tiki Torches - 12'x15' U-shaped BBQ Island (Firemagic Equipment)
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-p...ca-t28413.html

3. Back To Top    #3

Oh, I forgot about the newer type of skimmer my PB mentioned. It was a skimmer that operated off the return lines instead of the suction lines (I think). They are supposed to be more efficient. With my 2 skimmers and The Pool Cleaner (http://www.thepoolcleaner.com/) it is hard to get everything running right at lower rpms on the pump. Below a certain point The Pool Cleaner just stops moving.
    40x20 Free Form IG Pool (aprox 29,000 Gal, 140 Perimeter, depth 3'6"-7', Baja Shelf, 8x8 Free Form Spa) - Gunite Shell, Pebble Plaster Finish, Poured Concrete Coping - 3 Deep Heat Returns - Jandy LXi400 Gas Heater (400,000 Btu) - Jandy Variable Speed Pump JEP 2.0 - Jandy CL 600 Filter - HASA Liquidator - Jandy PDA 6 w/ Remote - 4x Jandy WaterColors Pool LEDs - 48" Gas Fire Pit - 6x Gas Tiki Torches - 12'x15' U-shaped BBQ Island (Firemagic Equipment)

4. Back To Top    #4

When setup correctly, it is less expensive to run two smaller pumps than it is to use a single larger pump.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare
    ... newer type of skimmer ... It was a skimmer that operated off the return lines instead of the suction lines (I think).
    How can a skimmer operate off a return line? I can imagine a setup that would cause surface debris to be sucked into the skimmer and trapped in the skimmer basket. But what of the skimmer function to serve as the suction inlet for water on its way back to the filter, trapping surface debris in the process?

Maybe I'm missing something.
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by CUTiger78
    How can a skimmer operate off a return line?
    There are Venturi skimmers that work off of the return line.

7. Back To Top    #7

If you do a search for Pool-Skim you'll see how it works.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I think it works like that one, but what he described (or at least how I took it) was that it was built into the side of the pool like a standard skimmer. I need to call him about something else, I'll ask if he has a name or link for the product.