Did the triclor tabs bleach my blue vinyl liner white?!

May 15, 2009
CT
I had a late opening for my 21' pool. Filled the new liner with hose water and much to my surprise, my 1 hp Hayward pump wasn't working so I orderer a new one over the internet. Seeing as it was 90 degrees and a few days before I could get one at a reasonable price, I put a bunch of triclor minitabs in 3 different socks and threw them into the pool to avoid the feared green plague. After a couple of days I noticed a white residue around the socks and thought it was CYA residue that would go away as it may take a week for CYA to dissolve into the pool water. Finally got my new pump after 3 days and I have white blotches an my liner floor! Now my query is, did the triclor?CYA tabs bleach my liner floor white? It doesn't seem to brush away. Did I mess up?

Just to clarify: are you stating the socks w/ tabs were sitting on the floor of the pool right on the liner? If so, then I'd sadly agree that you bleached your liner. :( :(

No chemical should sit on the floor of the pool. If you still don't have the pump running, switch out the socks for floating tab holders. OR, some pool owners also add bleach and mix/stir up the water by brushing.

Yes, the tabs bleached your liner. You should only use tabs in a floater and never let them directly contact the surface of the pool. Some folks put them in the skimmer basket but unless you run the pump 24/7 I wouldn't recommend it. You will need to keep an eye on those bleached areas and watch for deterioration, especially if they are near any seams.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.