Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool volume calculation

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool volume calculation

Split from topic of same name to avoid hijacking. Bama

I was just wondering about the volume on my pool. Now that I am getting control of it, I want to make sure that I treat it accordingly. Is there a way to accurately calculate the volume? I have a lazy-L pool, measuring 20 x 44 and with a deep end and a shallow end. But because of its shape I am not sure that I can find a calculator to give me a volume that is indeed true to my pool.

Thanks. Be well

Miriam
    20 x 44 in-ground vinyl
    Hayward Pro-Series High-rate sand filter (S310T)
    Nature2 Zodiac chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool volume calculation

Quote Originally Posted by brasilmom
    I was just wondering about the volume on my pool. Now that I am getting control of it, I want to make sure that I treat it accordingly. Is there a way to accurately calculate the volume? I have a lazy-L pool, measuring 20 x 44 and with a deep end and a shallow end. But because of its shape I am not sure that I can find a calculator to give me a volume that is indeed true to my pool.

Thanks. Be well

Miriam
    Make a sketch with some dimensions, then break it up into smaller sections to calculate volume, then add up the sum.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I get about [s:3ojijjbs]35,000[/s:3ojijjbs] 28k to 30k gallons. If you have a good test kit, you can turn the chlorinator off, wait and hour and test the FC, then add a large jug of bleach, wait an hour, then test again to see how much it raised the FC. It should raise it 3 ppm from the last test. This won't be a difinitive test but it'll let you know if you're in the ballpark. Over time af adding different chems and recording the changes you'll be able to get pretty close.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I only get 35,000 gallons if I assume it is rectangular. A lazy L will be smaller than a rectangular pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

You're correct. I drew it wrong. I get 28,000 to 30,000 now. Thanks for jogging me.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

[/quote]Make a sketch with some dimensions, then break it up into smaller sections to calculate volume, then add up the sum.[/quote]

Thank you. I have a sketch of the pool that was used to order our safety cover. I know that the shallow part is 3ft deep and the deepest part is 8ft. However, it has the slope leading to the deepest part, and that one is tricky to calculate. Is there a site of sorts that can guide to arrive at a number?

Oh, and how do I calculate the timing needed to run my filter? I have a Hayward NorthStar 1.0 HP pump and sand filter as described in my sig. I want to make sure I am running it long enough for the volume.

Thanks again. Be well

Miriam
    20 x 44 in-ground vinyl

7. Back To Top    #7

Most of the time in a pool with a deep end the average depth is about 5' so you just use that in the calcs and it'll get you close enough.

There's a section in Pool School on how to figure out your pump run time. I'd probably start with about 8 hours a day and adjust from there unless it's a 2-speed pump.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you Dave. I looked around the Pool School and was not able to find the section to figure that out, so I will keep on looking. Also, any ideas on how I can figure out if my pump is a 2-speed pump? I looked at the label on it and in all honesty found nothing indicating that. Maybe that suffice? I will check Hayward's site and maybe I will find out more info on that.

Thanks again. Be well

Miriam
    20 x 44 in-ground vinyl

9. Back To Top    #9

If your pump is 2-speed, on the motor data plate it'll have 2 hp's listed. (1.0/.3) and it'll most likely have 2 speeds listed (3450/1725).
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

I've found this volume calculator to be very helpful. http://www.poolandspachemicals.co.uk/volcalc.htm
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

11. Back To Top    #11

Thank you for the help. I got some data from the Hayward's website and got my engineer husband to do the calculations for me. We arrived at 7 hours to cycle the entire volume. To be on the safe side I will run the pump for 8 hours. Good thing I do not have to make such elaborate calculations...

Be well

Miriam
    20 x 44 in-ground vinyl