Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Darkness is needed to complete photosynthesis.

1. Back To Top    #1
    Orlando, Florida

Darkness is needed to complete photosynthesis.

Obviously light alone does not accomplish photosynthesis. The light phase does not convert carbon dioxide into a carbohydrate which is an integral part of photosynthesis. Darkness is needed.

What if i create a special box in my filter line to keep light on the water during the night as long as my pump is running.
    5,593 gallons of water at 80% capacity <Orlando, Florida>
    AG Intex Round Metal pole Swimming Pool - 16 Feet x 48 Inches (Intex A 16 X 48 F B02 11 01)
    Sand, SandPro 75 – 3/4 HP, 45GPM/2700GPH flow rate. GAM-4511 (Just days old 7/5/11)
    Crystal Clear Still

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Darkness is needed to complete photosynthesis.

No, darkness is not required. Several of the reactions are called "dark reactions" because they do not require light, but light doesn't prevent them from happening. In practice they only occur when there is light, since the "light reactions" portion of the cycle does not run in darkness, and the light reactions are required to drive the cycle. See thisWikiPedia article for more information.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School