Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Steps floating

1. Back To Top    #1

Steps floating

This is my first post, so not sure I am in the right forum.

My problem is that I just put in a new AG pool (replaced old one that had ladder) with steps. I can't get the steps to keep from floating up at the bottom. Tried filling with water, no good. Instructions say sand, but not crazy about sand in the pool and how heavy that would make them when we take them out in the winter. I've seen a few things on here about jugs and PVS with concrete inside.

This link on the forum shows pictures:

Does this seem to still be the best way to anchor them?
    Thanks for any help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Steps floating

If the instructions call for sand, fill them with plain old sand filter sand and follow the instructions . I have two 50lb bags in our steps and no floating or sand in the pool
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Texas

...............(you can remove the sand bags before you remove the steps from the pool).................................
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4
    SW Louisiana

You could try gravel.

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

I just installed my pool to deck steps this weekend. I wasn't crazy about using sand either, but I followed the instructions and added "10-15 lbs in each side". I then held the steps down and waited for the rest to fill with water, again per instructions. The steps still would not stay down on their own. I got in the pool and layed the steps down sideways so they were 100% under water. This helped all of the remaining air to escape. That did it. They are still very light in the water, right on the verge of floating, but they don't. There are a few factory holes in the part of the steps that they wanted me to fill with sand. Small holes, probably about 1/16" or so. I went under water and watched sandy colored water escaping from the holes. This annoyed me because i thought it was going to behave that way for a long time......a lot of sand in the steps now. It didn't. That stopped within 10 minutes.

So, my advice would be to just do what the directions say. Good luck!
    24' dia. 52" Tall Costa Del Sol Plastic Resin by Trendium Pool Products
    250lb sand filter with 1.5 HP pump
    13,530 gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

My steps have a nice "tray" area at the bottom where I put 3x 4" PVC tubes (~1.5' long) filled with sand and topped off w/ water. It took a few minutes of adjusting and careful placement to not bump them into the liner, but they've been working great all season.

(one end is capped and the other has a screw on top)
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]