Pump for new pool - what should I get?

Robl

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 19, 2011
CT
I am submitting the permit for a new pool tomorrow. I'm still looking at what equipment to get. Here's what I have in mind:
* Sharkline Matrix 15x30x54 (12k gallons if the calculator was right) - Is Sharkline a good pool? I was looking at Namco but the stores don't help any * (always different answers) and the price is higher. I'm looking at getting it from poolsupplyworld - are they reputable? They seem to have the best price
* Pool Rover Jr - is there something better for that size pool under $270?
* 12 Mil clear solar cover
* Winter cover w/ clips
* Intek SWG - currently own and use with a 15' round Intek pool
* Hayward EC 40 DE filter w/ 1hp Matrix Pump combo

Now I'm thinking the same filter (but open to suggestions) but with either a 2 speed or a VS pump. I can't seem to find a VS pump for an above ground pool. Is that correct? If so then I'm probably going to get the Hayward SuperPump SP2607X102S based on efficiency ratings found on here. But again that isn't listed as a AGP pump. If I can get a VS pump then based on energy calculations it will pay for the difference price of the SuperPump in 2 years.
So what pump should I get? I have no brand bias. If I can't get a VS or the Superpump I think there is a 2 speed 1hp Matrix but I can't find that on the Hayward website.
Why is this so confusing? Seems like a simple thing to figure out!

After the deck is built and the budget allows I'm going to look at heating - solar and/or a heat pump. I don't have a good place for a propane tank. Solar sounds great but is it worthwhile in CT?
So whatever pump I get needs to allow for those additions.

Thanks for the help!

My rates are about .13/kwh. Pentair shows a 2 speed for AGP but Hayward doesn't, or at least I couldn't find it on there. Based on the Pentair energy calculator I'd save an extra $130/yr if I could go with a VS pump vs the 2 speed. And $300/yr over the single speed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.