Tired of not using the pool

reluctantchemist

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 24, 2011
Yorktown Heights, New York
My husband & son have been responsible for pool maintanence, to whatever extent, for 14 years, while I've stayed blissfully ignorant. Big mistake. For the past several years they've not bothered to cover & winterize. We therefore have the oft-mentioned swamp in the spring, which they spend the whole summer trying to clean. I've been trying to explain to them that you can't work like mad for a few days then sit playing Angry Birds while the algae regains control. Yesterday I decided I needed to get some answers. I took a sample to the local pool guys. This is what I got.."Everything is fine except you have no chlorine." Based on these readings:
FC - 0
TC - 0
PH - 7.4
Cal - 180
TA - 100
CYA - 0
Not being satisfied I investigated online & found you guys. After reading everything, I now realize everything is not fine. We've taken stock in Chlorox at B.J.s and have spent the day testing, though only HTH test strips while waiting for TF110 to arrive, and adding Chlorine. I've also added Stabilizer via sock method. I've managed to raise the FC to 5. My question is do I continue adding chlorine while waiting for the CYA to come up? All advice & suggestions gratefully accepted!

You keep the FC at shock level as often as you can, and 24 hours after adding CYA assume it's there and up your FC to shock level for what you aimed for. That way you don't lose ground till your kit gets there.

Will do, Thanks. Have browbeaten hubby into getting in to clean. Guess what he found? Skimming leaves off the top doesn't work. Found a large pad of leaves in he middle that he wasn't getting to. Hopefully if I manage the chemicals & he takes care of cleaning, between the two of us we'll be able to be in it before the temperature drops!

Kuddos to you for stepping in and making a difference... You will soon be glad you found this board because you'll actually get to swim in the pool the rest of the season w/o any fuss. Plus.. if they fail to cover it again this winter, you'll know exactly what to do come spring to make it all beautiful again. You'll be the :thequeen: of a sparkling pool ... and they should bring you drinks and bon bons for taking their pool problems away :whoot:

reluctantchemist said:
Per Pool Calculator should have added 72oz for a target CYA of 40. I had a 4 pound container which I added, which isn't quite enough, but should be better than nothing until we pick up more tomorrow. #1 son will continue the assault tomorrow.
You did good!

We advise underdosing on CYA; it's easy enough to add more, but hard to remove it. And if you'll be shocking, 30ish is ideal. Once the water is clear and you pass the other tests, then you can raise CYA if needed. Hold on to the new CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update: Still don't have my test kit :(, still using HTH test strips :(, At this point FC staying between 3-5, can't seem to get it higher, pH= 7.5, appear to have some CYA, maybe 30-50, hard to tell, not much color difference between 0 & 30-50. CYA dissolving nicely in sock so I assume there is some in the water. TA=80. TH=100. Water cloudy gray w/foamy bubbles. I'm continuing to add chlorine. How am I doing? Headed in the right direction I hope.

Hang in there! Keep on adding the chlorine as you feel it's needed. You likely have some cya in there, but if there's still some in the sock I'd take hold of it and give it a good shaking to stir it up... I don't have the patience to let it dissolve and disperse on it's own :)

Hopefully your test will be there soon and you'll be able to more accurately monitor your water levels. Crossing my fingers it will be there tomorrow!

OK, the morning after has come. 7:15am, I love waking up to a challenge. Here are the numbers such as they appear on these test strips: FC=2-3, CYA=50-100, pH=7.8-8.4, TA=100, TH=100-200. Water cloudy gray/green, foam appears to have resolved. Hubby just added 3gal Chlorine. CYA not totally dissolved, should I remove the socks so value doesn't climb further? Glad I'm off for the next 2 days to continue the good fight! Have a BBQ 8/21, hoping to have all in order by then, preferably before. Thanks for all your advice & words of encouragement, lfk

Yeah, test kit has arrived, here are the numbers: FC=18.5, CC=3.5,TC=22.0, pH=7.5, T/A=130, CYA=25. 12:30pm, sunny day, water still cloudy grey/green. Still stabilizer to be dissolved. Will test again this evening & tomorrow morning to see how everything fares. Now need to beat the son into submission...brush & vac. :) I see the light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks all, will keep you updated. Smiling in NY :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.