Laundry Detergent - I swear it wasn't me.

poolhownd

Bronze Supporter
Jul 24, 2011
Shortly after testing my chem levels today, I directed my dad to dump 7lbs of baking soda into the pool. As I was getting around to testing CYA, that smell wafted over to me. You know, that 'I'm running through a field of flowers and pine trees' smell.

Yes, indeed, he had poured in Arm&Hammer laundry detergent, not baking soda.

So now I have a pool that smells like the laundromat and has (very few) suds on top.

What do I do now? :(

Adding to what's been said, high levels of chlorine will clear up the issue.

If your water was perfectly clear beforehand, you are not exactly shocking the pool for the normal purposes (like algae) so you may just be able to observe once your pool is back to normal and not run the OCLT.

In other words, bring the FC up to shock value according to the chart in Pool School and keep it there until the pool looks pristine again. That said, the OCLT is a really definitive way of insuring your pool is entirely cleaned up and is a valuable test that you need to learn if you ever have an algae outbreak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.