Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My test result show a high level of ta?

1. Back To Top    #1

My test result show a high level of ta?

Fc 3
    Ph 7.7
    Ta 170
    Cya 25 ish... I had to fill the entire Taylor test tube to not see the black dot.
    Pool temp average 28

I don't notice any calcium scaling yet

I have been adding hth costco brand granular clorine every night.. 3 ppm

Do I need to worry about ta?

Thanks
    Approx 74,000 liter inground vinyl pool 12x32, laser 225 sand filter, Hayward 2 speed pump + old pool heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My test result show a high level of ta?

TA being a bit high is fine as long as you don't have a lot of aeration (no SWG, waterfall, fountain, etc) and your CH levels aren't too high. You didn't post a CH level, so I can't comment on your specific situation,

HTH granular chlorine is usually cal-hypo. Cal-hypo adds CH along with the chlorine. If you use too much your CH level will eventually get too high and cause problems, especially with a relatively high TA level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Ch was 130 last sat

I didn't test for ch mysElf because I thought that was the most expensive reagent in the taylor 2005 test kit..
    Approx 74,000 liter inground vinyl pool 12x32, laser 225 sand filter, Hayward 2 speed pump + old pool heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

R-0011L is a few cents more than the other reagents, but not enough of a difference to make much difference.

CH at 130 means your current TA is fine, and you can continue using cal-hypo for some time before there will be any issues.

The only reason to lower TA in this situation is if you find that your PH tends to go up on it's own. If so, lowering TA can get PH to stop going up.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School