Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Starting with BBB

1. Back To Top    #1

Starting with BBB

I have a 24 round 52 high pool,approx 14000 gall.How much bleach and borax do I need To start up on bbb method.Anything else I need.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Starting with BBB

Hi joeT and welcome to TFP

Tell us how your water looks (cloudy, green, clear, murky, etc) and post a full set of test results including:
    FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

With this info, we can get you started
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

As BF said we really need test results. Also how you're testing?
    You may not need borax at all.
    If your pool is clear and no algae, I'd start with 8 or 9 large jugs of bleach. You can buy more later as you need them. If your pool is cloudy and has an outbreak, I'd start with about 25 large jugs.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

But, Bama does not mean to dump all those jugs in at once, he just means go buy some bleach now. Right?

We all use the Pool Calculator to determine how to get your pool from the place it is, to the place you want it to be. Knowing where it is now is required, so we need to get some good test data. The best test data comes from your own testing, not some hurried kid in the pool store. Do read Pool School and take notes in the section Test Kits Compared.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Anona. That would have been a disaster!

Yeah I meant to just go buy that much now, and use it as you need it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

My pool was clear (or at least it appeared to be) when I first started with BBB. It was moderately clear, now it's actually clear!

I didn't use anything besides bleach until I made a fountain to cool the water, now I'm using muriatic acid as well and if we have another week or so of using the fountain, the acid will lower my TA to the point of needing to use baking soda.

It all depends on what your pool needs and its current condition. I got off easy, but since my CYA is so high, I use quite a bit of bleach.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]