Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bubbles!

1. Back To Top    #1

Bubbles!

The AGP has been assembled and running for about 2 weeks now but the family has been on the right coast with the cousins and aunties and uncle's and such, so today was the first real swim day it's seen - It honestly looked like a bath tub! Bubbles all over the shop! I've obviously got something not quite right but I don't know what it is ... no pictures cos I was in the mix with them. The oldest was saying it hurt his eyes and his Aunties super de dooper new inground salt water, heated pool with an awesome deep end, was clearer too .... ours looks very clear to me except for the stuff that collects in the middle when we make a lazy river. Here are the numbers I've just taken with the T100. I'm using 6% bleach, borax and muratic..

CL 5+
    PH 7.5
    FC 7.5
    CC 0
    TA 90
    CYA 65
    CH 2

To my untrained eye this looks perfect.... d'yall swim in bubble bath too?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Bubbles!

Back in your post, "Ops, with a jug of shock" you said you accidentally put in a jug of something. Do you have that jug and can you tell us what it was? Give us the chemical name..."shock" is not what we're looking for.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds like some sort of surfactant is in there.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Back in your post, "Ops, with a jug of shock" you said you accidentally put in a jug of something. Do you have that jug and can you tell us what it was? Give us the chemical name..."shock" is not what we're looking for.
    That jug is gone - I can look it up the next time I got to home depot ( just looked at the website and I don't recognize anything) - would you guys agree that the readings look O.K.?

5. Back To Top    #5

CL 5+
    PH 7.5
    FC 7.5
    CC 0
    TA 90
    CYA 65
    CH 2
    You can leave off the OTO/yellow chlorine test when you are doing the FAS/DPD test.

Numbers look good! What is CH 2? 2 drops? CH is not important in a vinyl pool, except when it gets too high.

Add some extra chlorine to help get rid of the bubble bath. Probably some algaecide that was added is now foaming.

Remember, all you need is bleach!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Butterfly - I just threw in the Ch test for fun for myself and xtra info for the brainiacs in case it may have been relavant... If ya'll think I'm O.K. raising the FC (right?) with more bleach then I'll throw it in, then throw the boogers with the kids attached and see waht happens - Cheeers!

7. Back To Top    #7

You're not using a speciality bleach (outdoor, splashless, scented, etc.) are you?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by hayabusa3
    Thanks Butterfly - I just threw in the Ch test for fun for myself and xtra info for the brainiacs in case it may have been relavant...
    So it was just two drops, right?

If ya'll think I'm O.K. raising the FC (right?) with more bleach then I'll throw it in
    Not quite sure what you mean/intend, but with a CYA of 65 you should keep the FC between 5 & 10 and never below 5. So, I suggest you test each evening and add enough bleach to reach about 8FC. The next evening the FC should be at least 5 and if not, you need to up the evening dose to compensate.

, then throw the boogers with the kids attached and see waht happens - Cheeers!
    You can throw them in, but wait 30 minutes after adding bleach(with pump running) to do so
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    You're not using a speciality bleach (outdoor, splashless, scented, etc.) are you?
    No, regular bleach...........just ran out and checked the baking soda "Apline Clean", could that have done it?

11. Back To Top    #11

Check the ingredients... is there anything other than sodium bicarbonate listed?

I wanna know... is that baking soda really alpine clean? And how would you know if it's regular old alpine or... say... cascade clean if you've never been to a nice steep mountain range to determine the difference?
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by hayabusa3
    No, regular bleach...........just ran out and checked the baking soda "Apline Clean", could that have done it?
    I am pretty sure that that has more than just baking soda in it. Like frogabog said check the ingredients. It is a "detergent" as far as I can tell, which seems to be a likely reason that you have bubbles! Just because it says arm and hammer does not mean it is baking soda (they have branched out their product line).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

13. Back To Top    #13

If it says Alpine Clean on it than it is arm and hammer powdered laundry detergent!! Alpine clean is the fragrance... There's the cause of your bubbles.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

14. Back To Top    #14

I believe that is Laundry Detergent, not just baking soda. Does it look anything like this?
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Arm-Hammer....4-lb/11027510
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by aa62579
    I believe that is Laundry Detergent, not just baking soda. Does it look anything like this?
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Arm-Hammer....4-lb/11027510
    Ahem, well, it kinda looks a little ..... actually, yes. It looks exactly like that.

Hey, I've never done a laundry load in my life... which is more embarassement lol! AAaahhh! Can this be corrected?

16. Back To Top    #16

Yes. Go to the washing machine. Put some clothes in that are all similar in hue (darks, or lights). Check pockets.

Read alpine clean directions. Add alpine clean. Add fabric softener.

Turn machine to normal. Press start.

Run... to catch your wife when she falls over.

:~}
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by frogabog
    Run... to catch your wife when she falls over.

:~}
    Or run away when she gets mad at you for messing up the washing
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

18. Back To Top    #18

I guess there's a reason she does the laundry!