Can not locate Di-chlor!?

We are in the process of refilling our 15x48 AGP after a nasty algae bloom, I am attempting to follow the Temporary/Seasonal pool guide and it mentions using Di-Chlor too raise the CYA levels, I can not find any di-chlor locally even the people at Leslies looked at me like I had a 3rd eye....what options do I have? I can readily find Tri-chlor which from what I have read has a lower CYA ppm level so I am assuming it would take more to reach desired levels...I can also find granulated stabilizer which from what I understand would need to be placed in a sock until dissolved?
Any suggestions on which approach would be best is appreciated, I skipped the CYA when we originally filled the pool and now realize what a dumb move that was after 3 days of emptying and scrubbing the pool.

If Dichlor isn't available you can either use Trichlor, which will take more and longer to get your CYA up, or your can use bleach to raise the FC and buy the granulated stabilizer to raise the CYA. Using bleach and granulated CYA would be my choice.

Around here the only place I have found that still sells Di-Chlor is Lowes, they sell it as Shock in 1 pound bags (they also sell a Di-Chlor super shock, but it adds copper that you want to avoid so if you buy it read the label)

Ike

Pardon my disagreement with the "temporary pool" setup guide here but I am no fan of using the solid chlorine products (dichlor and trichlor) to raise CYA levels. Especially without a decent test kit (HTH does not qualify, there are only 2 CYA tests in it).

Spare yourself the hassle, spend 12 bux (price may be wrong, but still...) and buy HTH CYA at walmart. At least then you KNOW what you've added and your dosing schedule can begin as soon as you add your known quantity of CYA. Less guesswork, and realistically... the cost associated with a jug of CYA does not compare to the cost of purchasing powder or tablets just to be able to add CYA and chlorine at the same time for convenience sake.

Oh, and get a good kit. Save your dichlor dough and apply it to something you'll soon discover is invaluable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.