Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My pH has been drifting up as well

1. Back To Top    #1

My pH has been drifting up as well

Jason-

My pH has been drifting up as well. Here are my numbers:
    FC 3-5
    pH 7.8
    TA 80 (it was at 70- I mistakenly raised it with Baking soda thinking since TA buffers pH, more would be better)
    CH 270
    CYA 35
    Borates 50
    Salt 2090 (no SWG)
    temp 82 degrees

Even though Pool School recommends TA from 70-90+, it sounds like you are recommending lowering TA to 60 and possibly even as low as 40 to try to stabilize pH drift. Is that correct?

My question, then, is how to effectively lower TA when I have no aerating features and no eyeballs on my returns. One of the 3 returns barely ripples the water about 6' away from the wall. Will lowering pH to 7.2 and letting it drift back up naturally bring the TA down? Or do I need to find some way to aerate the water?
    18,000 gallon IG gunite freeform pool
    Intelliflo VS pump; Hayward SwimClear-C4030 425 sq ft filter; 4x suction PoolCleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My pH has been drifting up as well

The simplest thing to do is to lower the PH to 7.2 any time it gets up to 7.8 and stop raising TA. Over time that will bring your TA down.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, Jason.

So would TA of 40-60 be OK if that's what stabilizes my pH?

And when attempting to lower TA, is aeration only necessary to bring pH back up if the pH doesn't come up on its own? Or is it somehow better to raise pH more quickly with aeration?
    Intelliflo VS pump; Hayward SwimClear-C4030 425 sq ft filter; 4x suction PoolCleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, TA as low as 40 is fine (because you have borates in the water, otherwise you would want TA a little higher).

Aeration can often speed up the process of lowering TA, by getting the PH to come up more quickly so you can add more acid. As long as the PH is coming up on it's own there is no need to aerate.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

OK, so now my TA is down to 60 and CH is up to 340. PH is still drifting up. I see on the pool calculator that if I bring my TA down to 40 and pH to 7.6 that I'm getting dangerously close to a CSI of -0.6. (At 7.5, it would be less than -0.6) Would you recommend raising CH even higher (like 500)?

6. Back To Top    #6

How old is the pool surface? Is the PH drift extreme or does it creep up over a week or so? Have you tried to see how far it will drift up. Some pools stop drifting at 7.7 or so.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm guessing the pool is at least 6 years old. The pH will typically go from 7.5 to 8.0 in a little less than a week. It was much more stable before I added Borax to get the borate level up to 50.

Any ideas?

8. Back To Top    #8

So TA is now 50 and pH went from 7.3 to 8.0 in 2 weeks- an improvement, but still would like it to be more stable. If I take TA down to 40, how high would you recommend I raise CH to keep CSI over -0.6?