Skimmer odor

Thanks Butterfly. I will call around tomorrow to find out prices and also check online for liquid chlorine wholesale. Now, I just placed the test kit on the shopping cart, but got really puzzled. The price listed says $68.00, however the total for my order shows as $77.00 and that is before shipping. The only item on the cart is the TF-100. Can anyone here help me understand where that extra $9.00 came from?

I am considering ordering the liquid chlorine from a company called intheswim.com. They are in IL so I normally get anything from them in 2 days or so. Anyone here has any suggestion or cautionary notes on that?

Thanks again. Be well

Miriam

Well, don't know about the $9 - You can contact them (duraleigh and Meg) thru their site http://www.tftestkits.net by email or phone.

They have excellent service, but they are a small business and may be at church this morn and take a little while to respond. :wink:

ETA: I just selected an order for TF100 and got $68 only in my cart. No $9 anywhere.
They will get your order straightened out :)

An update on the skimmer situation and also questions.

We had a lot of rain yesterday and also more rain today. The pool got filled up, that was about 5 inches or so. I got the test kit today and just ran some of the tests. I am ready to shock the pool, but want to make sure that I will do the right thing.

FC: 5ppm
CC: 5ppm
TA: 210
CYA: 65
pH:7.2

I disinfected the skimmer baskets and also the pump basket with clorox in a bucket with water. There is still some smell in there and I need to shock the pool anyway. So, the initial recommendation was to bring up the FC to 40ppm to shock it and then maintain a 7ppm level or so. With this new numbers, do I really need to shock to that much? If not what would be the levels I need to bring up to and to maintain thereafter? Also, my chlorinator is no longer dispensing chlorine into the pool.

I hope I am making sense. Thanks for the help. Be well
Miriam

brasilmom said:
An update on the skimmer situation and also questions.

We had a lot of rain yesterday and also more rain today. The pool got filled up, that was about 5 inches or so. I got the test kit today and just ran some of the tests. I am ready to shock the pool, but want to make sure that I will do the right thing.

FC: 5ppm
CC: 5ppmHere is why your pool smells (its not just the skimmers)
TA: 210
CYA: 65
pH:7.2

I disinfected the skimmer baskets and also the pump basket with clorox in a bucket with water. There is still some smell in there and I need to shock the pool anyway. So, the initial recommendation was to bring up the FC to 40ppm to shock it and then maintain a 7ppm level or so. With this new numbers, do I really need to shock to that much? If not what would be the levels I need to bring up to and to maintain thereafter? With that CYA level, your minimum shock level is 19 ppm according to the poolcalculator. Get at least that high and hold it there!Also, my chlorinator is no longer dispensing chlorine into the pool.Good, if you are refering to a puck chlorinator or the nature2 (not chlorine)?

I hope I am making sense. Thanks for the help. Be well
Miriam

Make sure you read:http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool

brasilmom said:
The chlorinator is the Nature2.
In my opinion, I would never use that again!

I will shock the pool and hold that number for couple of days at least. Will that suffice? After that is it ok to keep at 5ppm after that?
That will not suffice, read the link I posted above about shocking, you will be done when:

# CC is 0.5 or lower;
# An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less;
# And the water is clear.

Remember, shocking is a process and each pool/situation is different. Keep reading/rereading the Poolschool too!

I was going to sugges the same thing about the Nature2 (never use it again).

I'm not sure of your exact model, but if you can run the system without a Nature2 cartridge, I would pull it out now. If (like my Duoclear system) a cartridge must be in place or the unit will not be sealed ( and will leak water), then you can either - never replace the cartidge (I assume the minerals/metals will eventually be used up) or do what I did, and open the cartridge up and remove the mineral bag from inside, then you can reinsert the empty cartridge back into the unit so it can still be sealed properly.

These mineral systems, while they may work, can cause staining in the pool. Search for 'frog' or 'nature 2' or 'duoclear' on here for some examples.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will check the options concerning the Nature2. Since our season is very short, I may wait until Spring to actually do something if we are to remove the unit all together.

Now, I did shock the pool and brought the FC to 37.5ppm. I will test it again in the morning. I will then test the CC as well. Anything else that I need to double check before being able to swim again?

Thanks. Be well

Miriam

brasilmom said:
Now, I did shock the pool and brought the FC to 37.5ppm. I will test it again in the morning. I will then test the CC as well. Anything else that I need to double check before being able to swim again?
Miriam,

Shocking is not a one time event, it is a process. You will probably have to add more chlorine over the next few days to keep above your shock level. In fact, you should be testing the pool many times a day and adjusting your chlorine level to keep it at/or above shock level.

My post above detailed that the shocking Process is done when all three of the following occur together:

1. CC is 0.5 or lower;
2. An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less;
3. And the water is clear.

I would not swim until the process is done. We are here to help if any of the above is confusing.

linen

Linen,

I will keep checking the levels and make necessary adjustments. I added late afternoon today and got up to 37.5ppm. With that I am above my shock level listed at 26 based on the FC/CYA chart. Tomorrow morning I will test again and adjust accordingly. So, should I wait until my numbers get down to that and then keep at it to complete the shock?

Thanks for the help. Be well

Miriam

brasilmom said:
I will keep checking the levels and make necessary adjustments. I added late afternoon today and got up to 37.5ppm. With that I am above my shock level listed at 26 based on the FC/CYA chart. Tomorrow morning I will test again and adjust accordingly. So, should I wait until my numbers get down to that and then keep at it to complete the shock?
You got it! No need to stay high above your shock level, you just need to be above (unless you will not be able to test regularly). Post your tomorrow morning results when you get them.

After you have completed the shock process as Linen recommends, use The Pool Calculator
to determine your recommended FC range and target the top of the range for your daily chlorine level. That way if you miss a day adding chlorine you should still be within the recommended range. You never want to allow the FC to drop below the recommended range.

Good Morning,

I tested for FC and CC at 6am. The FC is now 30ppm and the CC is at 0.5. So, I am still above my shock level based on the chart. Shall I leave it alone and not any this morning. We are supposed to have a very sunny day, so I am sure the level will drop somewhat. I will test again after sun is down and add if necessary. Does that sound correct? I guess it is no point adding more since the sun will burn it off.

Thanks for all the help. I am happy I found this forum. Be well

Miriam

I just ran a test. Got the following numbers:
FC: 47
CC: 0

The sun has been shinning all day and the temp is about 85F or better. The pool has been uncovered since last night. I will run another test later on today once the sun goes down. If needed I will add more bleach, otherwise I will cover it and let it filter on. The pump is running solid. Does my plan sounds ok?

Thanks for the help. Be well

Miriam

Did you add any chlorine since the 6am test? 17ppm higher is a bit odd if you didn't.

Which test are you more sure about? 6am or the most recent?

Leave the cover off while shocking btw. Your plan is right (except for the cover), it's just the rise in chlorine that is questionable. Maybe run another chlorine test if you think your second test might be skewed in some way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.