Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool chemistry results - High TA

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool chemistry results - High TA

I have a new pool with a SWG and am trying to get the water chemistry balanced. I got my Tf-100 kit yesterday and got the following results:
    pH 7.8
    FC 3.5
    CC .5 (so I guess this means TC = 4.0?)
    TA 130
    CYA 20
    CH 570 (we have very hard water here and the pool store says there is nothing to do about it?)
    Salt Test strip says 3240 (SWG says between 3000 and 3500 depending on time of day)

I will be adding more CYA to bring it up to 70 over the next several days (going slow to make sure I don't add to much).

So, using the pool calculator I added enough muratic acid to bring pH down to 7.2 and will be aerating with my fountain to try and bring the TA down.

Anything else I should be doing?

Also, was wondering why my TA is so high in such a new pool? Is is because of our hard water?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool chemistry results - High TA

Your TA most likely from your fill water. I test my fill water about once a year just to see what I'm adding.
    Where do you live?
    Looks like you're doing fine. There's no use fighting the TA, just lower the pH any time it gets up and it'll come down over time.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Live in Las Vegas...water is extremely hard here. Does aeration help after lowering pH?

4. Back To Top    #4

You SWG and highish TA are going to push your PH up anyway, though aeration will speed it up as well.

I'm in So. Cal and the CH is just something you learn to compensate for. Depending how much rain you get in winter you can try to divert rain water into the pool to lower CH.
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Thx - added liquid CYA to increase my CYA to the 60-70 range (from about 20). My SWG has been running at 50% and my pool filter runs 10 hours a day at CYA level of 20. This has been giving me a 3.5 FC reading. Should I expect to reduce the SWG run time since I've increased the CYA to at 3.5 FC?

6. Back To Top    #6

It'll probably take a couple,of days of testing to determine if you can turn your swg down but it wouldn't surprise me if you need to.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_ellis1
    Live in Las Vegas...water is extremely hard here. Does aeration help after lowering pH?
    Adding muriatic acid lowers both TA and pH. Aerating raises pH only and leaves the TA where you lowered it So, the TA lowering process (explained in Pool School) goes faster if you lower pH back down to 7 to 7.2 each time it reaches 7.6. pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity

So, any form of aeration will raise your pH.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thx -I understand now. Much appreciated.

9. Back To Top    #9

I would expect your CH and TA to both be high. But they may not be as bad as you think. Did you get the CH reading by swirling, or by using a speedstir? My CH readings went way down when I switched to the speedstir. And when there's any doubt, it's no effort at all to press the button and let it mix for another minute. It's amazing how often the purple color will go blue with just more mixing. Also, use the 10ml sample for CH. Saves on R-0012. Does it really matter if you read 610, 620, or 625? That doesn't affect CSI very much; try the numbers in the pool calculator and see for yourself.

Get used to feeding a lot of acid to the pool. Your pool will likely have a different demand, but I have learned that for my pool, for every inch of water I add, add a cup of acid. I pour it right into the hose stream, I don't even wait to let it mix and test first. The next day I will check, and I'm usually pretty darn close to perfect. Keep track, you'll probably find out what your demand is soon enough.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!